ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Greg, a while back I went through all your threads from when you joined TFO. I don't recall reading anything about who was your first Aldabra and how long you have actually had them. Also, I think I know the answer to this one, but, yours were all bought as adults, correct? Please post a pic of your first one, if you still have him or her, please:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
Please post a pic of your first one

This was my very first aldabra tortoise. I purchased him from Abbotts Turtle Farm in Cocoa, Fl. back in 1984 for $900. I do not still have him! I was so excited, things took off from there, LOL!

His name was Contagatory!

2qa7dvt.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww to bad you don't still have it:(. Did it pass away, or did you sell it. If you sold it do they still have it? Also, is that your snapper in the pic with it? Hard to tell but it looks like it could be. Thanks for sharing the pic btw.:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
Did it pass away, or did you sell it.

I traded him and another young one to Richard Cary Paul, The author of Green Nature Books.

wellington said:
is that your snapper in the pic with it?

No, that is just a small glass figurine i use for size comparisons.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
What was your first tortoise of any species? Of you started out with Aldabras, you are sooooooo lucky!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Vincentdhr said:
What was your first tortoise of any species? Of you started out with Aldabras, you are sooooooo lucky!

My first tortoise was a hatchling sulcata purchased in 1980 for $250 from Glades Herp! I was so excited, took me forever to save the money.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Greg- Squirts dad here- I too visted Abbots farm in coco beach. It was early 80's when I went there. I bought a baby leopard tortoise from he and his wife. Charles Abbot was a nice guy and he had a cool setup thered on his property. When I was there he had a huge Water Monitor lizard in a small wire cage that he got for someone. I remember that because that was not the norm for him to have.