ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Pokeymeg said:
Aldabraman! I saw this video you posted on another aldabra post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlg_UPpF6s4) and had a question! I didn't want to hijack the other post...

Do Aldrabra make a lot of noises like that, like in the video? It sounds a bit like the soundtrack from Jurassic Park! I had no idea Aldabra...growled??

Yes they do, the bigger the male aldabra the louder the noises during breeding.

212705e.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I havent read through all pages but whats the growth rate like for these guys...1yr, 5yr...etc

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jtrux said:
whats the growth rate like for these guys...1yr, etc

Growth rates can vary greatly based on many factors such as diet, environment, etc. Here are some pictures of some we have hatched and growth rates based on a mostly natural diet, full sun access, and ample space for regular exercise.

* 2 1/2" (Fresh hatchling!)

34xrec9.jpg

* 3" (thirty - forty days old!)

qno9zl.jpg

* 6" (about one year old!)

24pduub.jpg

* 9" (about two years old!)

rwjs3k.jpg

* 13" (about three years old!)

311p744.jpg

* 18" (about four years old!)

2aj9chy.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
WOW!!!! Talk about awesome! Thanks, that is sooo cool. Im not nearly experienced enough to have one BUT one say I would definitely want one. I have an acre total but only half of it is fenced. How much room is really needed for one of those guys?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jtrux said:
How much room is really needed for one of those guys?

The aldabra tortoise loves to browse. The more area they have the happier they seem to be! One issue many overlook is the exercise element needed for these giant species and ample space allows them to exercise properly!

1055mo9.jpg

6fwpx1.jpg

1q0dol.jpg

sqjst0.jpg

1jqonl.jpg

svmeeu.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for sharing, they are just plain impressive, no doubt about that! How many hatchlings do you get a year? I'm guessing you have no problem selling out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mr ALDABRAMAN :D can you show us the house the younger ones stay during the night. Tuff, Hopie, Zuni, etc. or do they still stay in your house/garage at night? Also, have you ever measured the height and width of the adults. Just wondered how high and wide they are:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
can you show us the house the younger ones stay during the night. Tuff, Hopie, Zuni, etc.

All the smaller ones live outside unless it is cold or heavy rain and then we bring them inside just for a short time. They do not have dedicated structures for shelter, they use the bushes to hide in and for shade.

33u96s7.jpg

5owfhf.jpg

i6mko1.jpg

wklcp3.jpg

14y8jdj.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I kinda thought so, but wasn't sure. Thanks. I love the second to last pic. Butt sticking out from under the bush:D Your yard/pasture looks great. The rains really makes them brighten up. I don't even have a tort, let alone 11 of them living on my grass, and it looks like crap:( I guess lack of rain for us:)

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
No problem with raccoons or predators with the little ones?