ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ERoss

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California

They are so amazing! I love seeing them in the water! Is that just a shallow pond with a sand bottom or did you use a pond liner? How deep would you recommend making a pond for them? I have heard they can “swim” but I would be so worried if it was deep enough that they could potentially drown. Love seeing all of your posts!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
How deep would you recommend making a pond for them? I have heard they can “swim” but I would be so worried if it was deep enough that they could potentially drown.

~ Let me share further regarding this topic. We have found that many tortoises prefer to drink directly out of the pond and puddles instead of out of a container, bowl, etc. We provide both, many also drink of both and have no preferences. We fill the pond up in the morning and in the evening with fresh water, it is also a great source for the tortoises to simply cool down or play in the mud.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ Our new location will have several of these ponds, this one has worked out very well at our program. We fill them with cool well water.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
recommend making a pond

~ We put much effort into keeping our population cool during the summer months, between daily showers, the pond and shade they seem very comfortable. I have spoke with several that feel when male tortoises get too hot that they have fertility issues, keeping them cool is a very important element with any breeding program.

BevSmith

~ We put much effort into keeping our population cool during the summer months, between daily showers, the pond and shade they seem very comfortable. I have spoke with several that feel when male tortoises get too hot that they have fertility issues, keeping them cool is a very important element with any breeding program.

Kind of shocked that they let you hose them off. I would think that water would be so cold!