ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
@ALDABRAMAN your pastures don't seem to have much shade. Do your tortoises retreat to their house every day during peak sun intensity?
I have always kept our young aldabras in a pen without shade and their next expanded pen will be the same. As soon as they get too warm they just go in the night box and hang out until it cools off. I have a theory that by not providing a bunch of additional shelter throughout the pen they are more likely to return to the heated night box every evening.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
@ALDABRAMAN your pastures don't seem to have much shade. Do your tortoises retreat to their house every day during peak sun intensity?
I have always kept our young aldabras in a pen without shade and their next expanded pen will be the same. As soon as they get too warm they just go in the night box and hang out until it cools off. I have a theory that by not providing a bunch of additional shelter throughout the pen they are more likely to return to the heated night box every evening.

~ Shade is vital, we notice they selectively use the natural shade and the barn for shade. As soon as i get a certificate of occupancy i plan on adding many more trees throughout the entire property. Mulberry trees are one of my preferred options.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thanx for updating this thread, Greg. I've been wondering how the project was going.
~ It has been a nightmare, literally a full blown nightmare, our GC is horrible. However, once i get a C/O i have great plans for the entire program, not sure when that will be.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm guessing this is looking out from your garage on the new property on the water inlet? Finally getting there. I lost this thread some how so have seen whatever updates you may have done. Looks like a great place. Glad you're getting it done.