ALERT: America COMPETES Act of 2022 Lacey Act Amendments

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
https://usark.org/2022lacey/?fbclid=IwAR3DjCR5Zwnrj2wpHQJ56jAWVELYVkCm6NiDu7YON5bQp27ZIzVZitqZ_RA

Buried within the 2,912 pages of the America COMPETES Act of 2022 lie Lacey Act amendments that affect all non-domesticated pet owners and the greater pet community. COMPETES is an acronym for Creating Opportunities for Manufacturing, Pre-Eminence in Technology and Economic Strength. The stated purpose of the Act is to strengthen America’s economic and national security but obviously, this was slipped into the massive bill in hopes to go unnoticed.

The amendments would reverse the USARK federal lawsuit victory by reinstating the ban on interstate transportation of species listed as injurious under the Lacey Act. The bill would also create a “white list” (see #2 below) that could affect millions of pet owners, as well as pet businesses. If your species of interest, even your pet, is listed as injurious (which could happen because it can survive outside somewhere in the U.S.), then it cannot be transported across state lines. That means you could not even take a pet with you if you moved to another state or needed veterinary care across a state border. This does not just ban sales but prohibits all interstate transportation. This will trickle down to hundreds or thousands of common pet species.

The America COMPETES Act may pass in the House next week. If passed in the House, it will then be sent to the Senate to be reconciled with an innovation policy package called the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act, or USICA, that passed in the Senate last year. The America COMPETES Act is the House Democrats’ response to USICA (which does not contain the Lacey Act Amendment). The House Rules Committee will hear the America COMPETES Act on February 1, 2022. It may go to a House floor vote the next day. This is the same language we saw introduced by Florida Senator Marco Rubio as Senate Bill 626 in 2021.

Briefly, the amendments will:

1. Provide that the Lacey Act bans the interstate transport of species listed as injurious. Specifically, it replaces Lacey’s current language ‘‘shipment between the continental United States’’ with ‘‘transport between the States.”
  2. Create a “white list” of species that can be imported. This means that any animal (reptile, amphibian, fish, bird, mammal, invertebrate) that is not on the white list is by default treated as an injurious species and is banned from importation.
  3. Create a new authority allowing FWS to use an “emergency designation” that becomes effective immediately after being published in the Federal Register unless an extension of no more than 60 days is allowed. That means no due process, public input, hearings, advanced notice, etc. for injurious listings.
  4. Permit FWS to not allow importation if a species has not been imported in “minimal quantities” (to be defined) in the year prior to the enactment of this Act.
  5. The effective date would be one year after the enactment of this Act.
Read the relevant amendment text (these are pages 1661-1665) at https://usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2022-HR4521-excerpt.pdf.

We will provide more details on actions to take.

In our landmark court decision, four federal judges agreed that USARK was correct and that the Lacey Act (Title 18 Section 42 of the U.S. Code) did not ban interstate transportation of injurious species based on the original language of the Lacey Act and the intent of Congress. As a result of this fight for our members and the herpetocultural community, this meant animals domestically bred under human care could be moved and sold across state lines (within the continental United States). For herpetoculturists’ concerns, this included some species of constrictor snakes and 201 species of salamanders.

The entire America COMPETES Act can be read at https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR4521RH-RCP117-31.pdf.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will continue to take every bit of freedom we have for as long as we allow them to.

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
They will continue to take every bit of freedom we have for as long as we allow them to.
Has anything like this happened in the past before? ****, this **** is terrible. I really wanted at start collecting more reptiles when I got older

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anything like this happened in the past before? ****, this **** is terrible. I really wanted at start collecting more reptiles when I got older
Yes. All throughout human history. Evil advances while good men sit complacent, until things eventually become so bad that good men are finally motivated to act and must shed the blood of tyrants to stop the evil doers.

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
sadly this passed the house now we have to hope the senate does not pass this. its not only the lacey act either this is a horrible bill and has so much hidden inside it. its not a good thing for anyone if this passes.
Do u know how long we have until the senate passes this bill? I already emailed my senate, but I’m just curious on how long this process could possibly last

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Do u know how long we have until the senate passes this bill? I already emailed my senate, but I’m just curious on how long this process could possibly last
lets hope and pray they dont. this bill is terrible ive actually sat and read it. they are making it like this is to help america but they are trying to sneak so many things in this bill its ridiculous. im guessing it will pass but we can pray it does not

Jan A

Boulder, CO
lets hope and pray they dont. this bill is terrible ive actually sat and read it. they are making it like this is to help america but they are trying to sneak so many things in this bill its ridiculous. im guessing it will pass but we can pray it does not
Always think about who likely makes the most money & if the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is behind it or backs it when looking at bills before the Senate & you'll be able to figure out if it's likely to pass the Senate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
its not a good thing for anyone if this passes.
That's not true. It will be very good for our Marxist overlords if it passes. They can't have regular people just walking around being all free and pursuing happiness as they see fit. That must be squashed, and squash it they will.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
That's not true. It will be very good for our Marxist overlords if it passes. They can't have regular people just walking around being all free and pursuing happiness as they see fit. That must be squashed, and squash it they will.
lol well i think we knew what i meant hahaha but yes you are correct this will only benefit them.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
The political world is so exhausting to me because these bills aren't getting passed by people who actually care. They're snuck in by rich people that don't want turtles in their HOA ponds or neighbors with weird pets lowering their property values. Using fear (like ooky spooky giant anacondas!) to get people on their side. And then they go out and use poison on their yard to kill a dandelion. /rant

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The political world is so exhausting to me because these bills aren't getting passed by people who actually care. They're snuck in by rich people that don't want turtles in their HOA ponds or neighbors with weird pets lowering their property values. Using fear (like ooky spooky giant anacondas!) to get people on their side. And then they go out and use poison on their yard to kill a dandelion. /rant
I wish that was all it was. I'm afraid it is much more nefarious than that. We are at war, and most of us don't even realize it... yet.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
sadly this passed the house now we have to hope the senate does not pass this. its not only the lacey act either this is a horrible bill and has so much hidden inside it. its not a good thing for anyone if this passes.
@mastershake Thank you for posting this, wish I knew the specific reason for this addition, I know why they are doing it, to pull a fast one, but what is the purpose of it, what is the threat they are trying to divert...
In any case I have sent an email to both my Senators, as the bill has already passed the House, to either have this amendment removed, or just flat out vote it down....

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Additionally, I'm a Lead on NextDoor in my neighborhood, I'm thinkin of throwing it out there for all the future pet owners that MAY get a pet from out of state....