Algae Control

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Even still, I would be careful with keeping it outdoors.
You're better keeping the aquarium indoors and setting up a separate outdoor pond (kiddie pools can work) for the summer.
That way you don't have to worry about it overheating and constantly moving the tank back and forth between winter & summer, or if you get a freak cold night.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Have aquarium on patio with small RES. Past month seems that algae is really growing probably because of the warmer humid weather. Read that salt can control algae in aquariums? Is this safe for RES? Other than frequent water changes what else can one do to control the growth? How about a couple of pleco fish for algae eating? Also ordered some Tetra Algae tablets.

You didn't read that salt can control algae in aquariums from me .. if that's what you are talking about - I was saying that salt was the best alternative to using chemicals for cleaning !

What's wrong with algae anyway?.. it helps control high ammonia, etc. that can develop from uneaten food, etc.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
No I actually read about the salt in an older post when I was researching algae control. It actually gave the recommended amount per gallon of water. I got a second pump in to hopefully control it somewhat -- I don't mind some algae in the tank but it is pretty bad.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I'll take a pic this evening - I don't have one on hand now. I got the 2nd pump and filter in on Saturday so we'll see if it helps any.