10gal Betta setup

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
This is my first thread back after taking a while away to work on keeping my life afloat, and it's not even about tortoises! (Don't worry, me and Nank are doing fine!)

I've had my 10gal tank for years now, kept a few Bettas and fell in love with goldfish in it... Unfortunately a 10gal tank was never suited for a pair of goldfish like I wanted and no matter how hard I fought I could never get the tank to properly cycle and even with regular 25-30 percent water changes and my biological filter matter there, the ammonia would spike and nitrites and nitrates wouldn't budge. I did keep a goldfish I won at a fair alive for 2 years, so it wasn't horrible, just not worth the battle, plus after he died I was heartbroken and no fish was the same. So no more goldfish for me, but I do love Bettas and seem to have had great successes with them in this tank.

About a month ago I refilled the water level and started algae treating it (yes I had a tank full of water just sitting around for nearly 2 years with no fish in it). Checked all the levels last night and everything is in good shape, algae still needs some work but I know that's pretty harmless, just got a good scraper magnet today for it. And got my new little betta friend Reginald today (which will probably become Reggie and eventually Wedgie because I can't be a normal person with normal pet names). He's a double tail male.

Forgot to get a heater (since I never found mine when resetting the tank) because my room where he'll live does get cold. So I have to get that tonight, but I'd just like some general advice on tank cycling if anyone knows good stuff on it (since I only understand the basics) as well as good tank mates for a betta, specifically I was thinking shrimp when I had my last betta Sushi in there, but that death was tragic and why I gave up fish so long (I loved that lil dude- he used to live in my office and the engineers named him). So any fish you'd suggest in a 10 gal with one male betta and some general care on them would be much appreciated, it'll be a while before I add any but I'd like a lot of time for research.
I have sand and driftwood, a couple of shrimp tubes (like I said I was looking into getting some before I let the tank go). I had live plants but well they didn't do so well. But all the falsies in there are all silk because I know Betta fins. I'll post an aquarium picture when we get home and he's settled in, until then here's a picture of the little guy, yes he's sitting here at work with me, I was alone 2-7 today and knew I was going to buy my betta, so I got him on the way to work to have a friend. We've bonded quite a bit today, and he's now an expert on gym memberships.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474755088.703210.jpg