Algonzo not eating! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpDaDerp26TV

5 Year Member
Hello HerpDaDerp26TV here, and I'm fairly new ( I got my Russians yesterday) to tortoises and I own 2 RTs. The problem is Algonzo, the bigger of the two, hasn't been eating. Rotabega has been eating his fill and us doing fine. I keep the temp. Apx. 75-85F . I just keep the food on the substrate and right away Rotabega eats. Algonzo did eat some cherry tomato, but that's it.

Thanks for reading and please help a newbie out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi HerpDaDerp26TV:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Give your new tortoises some time to settle in. They sometimes take up to two weeks before they get comfortable with you.

It would be a good idea to put the food on something so they don't eat the substrate accidentally. A piece of flat rock, or a tile or even a margarine tub lid.

Give both of them a good soak. The might be dehydrated.

HerpDaDerp26TV

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi HerpDaDerp26TV:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Give your new tortoises some time to settle in. They sometimes take up to two weeks before they get comfortable with you.

It would be a good idea to put the food on something so they don't eat the substrate accidentally. A piece of flat rock, or a tile or even a margarine tub lid.

Give both of them a good soak. The might be dehydrated.

Thanks for the tips! My name us Charls, and I live in south Jersey! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D The We LOVE PICS :p

When you say your temps are 75-85 do you mean one side is 75 and the other end is 85? Or do you mean the entire enclosure temp go as low as 75 and then increases to 85? What type of lights/bulbs do you use? What else do you feed them other than the tomato? Fruits and veggies really should be more of a treat...during the winter you can feed them organic spring and herb mix....

I would also watch their behavior....you say one is outgoing and one is not...this species can be aggressive with one another...there can be mental bullying going on...I would watch to see if they both settle in equally and not one being way forward and the other being very withdrawn....eating is something tortoise do with enthusiasm and therefore if this is not happening with them both ....if it were me I would move them to their own enclosure and see how the shy one comes around....In my humble opinion that is....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I finally got some time, so I could come back and give you a few other ideas and thoughts and I see I got beat to it. :D The main thing is to just first give them some time to settle in. I would also check to see what they are use to eating and depending on what you find out, you may need to go back to that diet and work your way slowly out from there. Once more, first give it some time. Relax and enjoy them a bit. ;)

HerpDaDerp26TV

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes :). Oh yes and ascott, I was saying the general temp is around 75-85. I feed them salad mixes and feed only a bit of tomato because I heard they have acidic levels. I really don't see any interaction in them, they were in the same tank in the pet store and they seemed not to have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.