ALL IN THE FAMILY

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Some Of the Group ... .. during the mid~night mist* ,,,,,
Fam5-1.jpg
fam4.jpg

as you can see they have no problems .. " packing together " at night time ... ( well yes due to heat source...much like a campfire ..." whoopie" ... ) ... :D:p:D

JD~:)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
JD I take it they live in a shed? Do they live outside in that shed all winter or what do you do with them all? :) Yes it is very interesting how they huddle together like that. It makes me feel bad for Dale knowing that he could have a lot of friends. :(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
JD I take it they live in a shed? Do they live outside in that shed all winter or what do you do with them all? :) Yes it is very interesting how they huddle together like that. It makes me feel bad for Dale knowing that he could have a lot of friends. :(

Candy .... I live in So Cal ..very near the beach ( so humidty is very nice ) , the torts are kept outside year round, although have a Special tort hut" it's a 5'x7'x7' Rubbermaid House shed. elec/plumbing, Heated, and built in mist system. They have access to this all day as well as the outside yard , but in the evenings, most gather in for the night and the " hot spot " ...there are however a few stragglers who I round up everynight and " put to bed" . The shed is ideal for many reasons ex ; pleasing to the eye , security , dosnt rust , I can stand up in it ( my favo) , water tight , inslualted, window/slylight for natural sunlight, also multi level in the rear , for the different size hatchlings ect . I usally build my own and still do ,,, but this was ideal for the RF's and a " controlled" environment. I maintain the hut* at 80~87 F and about 40-60% humidity. There is a large marble slab buried , buried with top/light substrate ... this acts as a " collector" from the heat source abouve , thus keeping steady and constant temps in that area. Its large enough for them to have a dark cool spot as well at the opposite end of the shed..
Funny thing , with nest boxes all around outside... every substrate available , grass, dirt ..." nature" .. my Momma Cherry .. has laid 3 times this year in the " hut "
even amongst her peers!
And people think these are solitary animals ....? :D

JD~;)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
JD....Do you have issues with them flipping one another?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
N2TORTS said:
Candy said:

Candy .... I live in So Cal ..very near the beach ( so humidty is very nice ) , the torts are kept outside year round, although have a Special tort hut" it's a 5'x7'x7' Rubbermaid House shed. elec/plumbing, Heated, and built in mist system. They have access to this all day as well as the outside yard , but in the evenings, most gather in for the night and the " hot spot " ...there are however a few stragglers who I round up everynight and " put to bed" . The shed is ideal for many reasons ex ; pleasing to the eye , security , dosnt rust , I can stand up in it ( my favo) , water tight , inslualted, window/slylight for natural sunlight, also multi level in the rear , for the different size hatchlings ect . I usally build my own and still do ,,, but this was ideal for the RF's and a " controlled" environment. I maintain the hut* at 80~87 F and about 40-60% humidity. There is a large marble slab buried , buried with top/light substrate ... this acts as a " collector" from the heat source abouve , thus keeping steady and constant temps in that area. Its large enough for them to have a dark cool spot as well at the opposite end of the shed..
Funny thing , with nest boxes all around outside... every substrate available , grass, dirt ..." nature" .. my Momma Cherry .. has laid 3 times this year in the " hut "
even amongst her peers!
And people think these are solitary animals ....? :D

JD~;)

JD don't you live in Anaheim or was it Huntington Beach? I can't remember. I live in Alhambra so we're not far from each other. I would love to see an outside picture of your shed if you have it. Also since we live close to each other that makes our weather almost the same, do you find that in the winter months that they go outside a lot or do they mainly stay inside the shed? Where did you purchase that shed from Home Depot or Lowe's maybe? That's why I said that Dale would be mad at me because I think he would enjoy having some friends around like yours has. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
OK I am so jealous! You people in California are sooo lucky, I wish I could live there! JD, your RF's are beautiful and they look very happy :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
harris said:
JD....Do you have issues with them flipping one another?

NO ... not at all ... out of the 14 RF's there are 3 Breeding size males...they do compete ... but more of a push and shove match. Untill the Big boy wins and the other just walking away. NO flip
required~:p

JD don't you live in Anaheim or was it Huntington Beach? I can't remember. I live in Alhambra so we're not far from each other. I would love to see an outside picture of your shed if you have it. Also since we live close to each other that makes our weather almost the same, do you find that in the winter months that they go outside a lot or do they mainly stay inside the shed? Where did you purchase that shed from Home Depot or Lowe's maybe? That's why I said that Dale would be mad at me because I think he would enjoy having some friends around like yours has. :)
[/quote]

Candy ,,,, I live in HB... so its close to you , although inland you get more extremes....cold/hot. Yes they do slow down a bit in winter , but not all that much . They still roam around the yard when raining and then retreat back to their heated house. I only keep them inside at night time ..." every night" ... regardless of weather temps. The shed was purchased at Sam's. It looks just like a little house.....

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks JD. May I ask you why you bring them in at night? Is it for safety reasons? That's a lot of work for you every night to bring them in. Where do you keep them in your house? :) Sorry have to know what is working for others to keep Dale the best I can and because he is getting so big now we're moving him to the garage. I would also like for him to be able to go outside whenever he wants to go that's why I'm picking your brain. :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Thanks JD. May I ask you why you bring them in at night? Is it for safety reasons? That's a lot of work for you every night to bring them in. Where do you keep them in your house? :) Sorry have to know what is working for others to keep Dale the best I can and because he is getting so big now we're moving him to the garage. I would also like for him to be able to go outside whenever he wants to go that's why I'm picking your brain. :D
I ment~ I make sure they are in " their " house at night. I do it for safety for the torts and any daring attemps by dirtbags.( The back is 24hr video survellance ) and Mr. Mossberg is very near :D
Plus I just need to know they are all accounted for , and always a good time for " helath checks" .
They REALLY are my Kids!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I understand now. They are sure lucky to be your kids JD. Now you've left us wondering.....who is Mr. Mossberg? For some reason I'm thinking Pittbull. :p :D Ohhhh my husband just came home and I was reading your posts to him (because I want the same thing for Dale) and I read him the last post and he said "Don't you know what a Mossberg is?" I said no I thought it was a Pittbull and he laughed and said it was a rifle. :( You mean business don't you JD? :D :p I guess I won't come lurking around your backyard. ;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Candy said:
I understand now. They are sure lucky to be your kids JD. Now you've left us wondering.....who is Mr. Mossberg? For some reason I'm thinking Pittbull. :p :D

Nooooo.... NO Pitbull....I have Sally For that!
SILLYSALLY.jpg

JD~:p

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Read the post above Sally JD. I was going to say Sally should tell you when someone is coming because my Cockatiels are the best watch dogs ever. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.