All Set Up and Tortoise is Dead

TortieTerp

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Well. I'm new here (but previously owned a Bell's Hingeback for 10 years) and I was very excited to post the set up that my son and I just finished building and have been researching on this forum. Thanks to Mike, we finally figured out what seems simple, but for folks who've been told by a pet store and countless other sites, that an open glass enclosure with some orchid bark, heat lamps and a uvb coil light is fine for a baby red foot, it's been a scramble to understand and build our own enclosure. We frantically bought sphangum moss to help with the humidity, but before we even got home, discovered it was a bad idea. We bought misters, thermometers, ridiculous hide logs for way too much money, red heat lamps (which thankfully broke when my son was misting the tank), expensive combo uvb/heat lamps. All a waste. I could never get the humidity up or the heat just right.

Fast forward to our 116qt tub with its CHE, thermostat, timer, coco coir, etc. I went to move him into his new home
and he was unresponsive. A month and half after buying our red footed baby, he's dead.

He was eating up until today, when I noticed that he didn't come out from his hide. I was busy building the set up and thought I'd wait until it was all together before soaking him and putting him in.

Here's the set up... but it's too late : (

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpeg
    IMG_2173.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw geez, dang it anyway. That's just so sad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear your baby didn't make it.

Who is Mike?

RFs don't do well in CA. Too dry here. If you decide to try again, I'd get a different species that is more tolerant of the conditions here in CA.

More info here for you:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry for all your trouble and then this loss! It's rough.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I"m so sorry for your loss. If you do decide on another species, I know Russians are "boring" compared to some other species, but they are very hardy, and there are a zillion rescues in need so you could get an adult that is past the fragile baby stage...