Alligator Snapping Turtle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tisky

5 Year Member
hi there iv had my Alligator Snapping Turtle for 2months now he is 6inches in shell lenth and eating only large shrimp atm tried him on fresh salmon and trout he wont eat it is shrimp and reptomin a good enough diet for him ??? i want to gethim to eat game fish salmon trout and other game fish but he wont he also get cuttle bone for calcuim and chew that ocasionly please my spelling is not so great excuse me anyway my main concerns are he keeps coming up for air every few minites poking his nose out the sufuce of the water as they do and seems to me like he goes to hunt with his mouth as i have guppys in the tank but ... then he just streches his mount and close it agian im really worried for him any help would be great [/font]

tisky

5 Year Member
HELP ALI SNAPPER

:)dvise needed for my aligator snapping turtle there a few this im concern about he keeps coming up for air every 2-3 mins and he also keeps streching his mouth open aswell and on his shell there seems to be sheding is this normal ?????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I no nothing about snappers, but too me gasping for air that often usually means a bad water quality. However, this is just a guess. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help. Good luck, hope all is well with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tisky, and welcome to the Forum!

The occasional open mouth breathing might be a sign of respiratory distress. My snapping turtle holds his breath for a VERY LONG time. I get tired of waiting for him to come up and breathe. It is measured in 10's of minutes. I think a trip to the turtle vet is in order for you.

As for not eating a whole lot of different things...they can go a very long time without eating. Quit feeding the shrimp and only feed him a healthy diet. If he doesn't eat, clean out the uneaten food and don't offer it again until the following day. Keep this up and eventually he will eat. I feed mine small bites of cooked chicken, worms, crickets, zucchini, and lots of other things I can't remember right now. I also feed him the occasional trout chow.

Did you see this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-70414.html

Status
Not open for further replies.