Aloe from The Grocery store?

kirbytherussian

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I just had a quick question to ask.

I was at the grocery store the other day (Hannaford) and i noticed they had some potted Aloe. Now, being a tortoise owner, I immediately thought how much more flavor that would add to my Little Leo's enclosure. My question is, is it okay to buy aloe (In a pot) from the grocery store? I know it may sound a bit silly, but i just wanted to be sure that they didn't add chemicals or anything to their plants to make them look greener and grow faster.

Thanks a Lot!
-Madie

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Also, let the plant sit out for a couple weeks (not matter where you get it [unless it specifically says Organic]) so you know it's safe. The local grocery store here has florists shop, and they sell waxed peace lilys (aka, they've got chemicals) :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not offer that plant to the tort in any way that it can eat from until it has had an entire year of growth time....you see, chemical sprays and fertilizers generally become systemic to the plant, so changing the soil or rinsing the plant does not remove the immediate hazard....again, folks will do what they feel they should...and tortoise "usually" don't have an immediate issue, but as with humans, it is the prolonged exposure that creates issues....not trying to tell you what to do...just sharing is all....