Always buried TTBT

taquito23

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
Hey guys, my TTBT is AAAAALLLLWAAAAY buried. This is what her enclosure looks like. The lights are both lowered. The rocks are about 97* and ambient is about 99* Humidity is 46% on the cool side and temp on the cool side is about 83ish.

She stays in the dirt all the time. And when I get her out, her eyes look like this for a while then go back to normal. See photos.

The reptile store near me said to put vitamin E on a q-tip and then put some on her eyes.

I can’t seem to find out what she needs to come out and wander or come out and eat. She probably has gone a week without anything other than one earth worm.

If anyone can help out that’d be awesome. She’s such a cool animal I want to make sure she’s alright.

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'll do my best. How long have you had her? If you haven't had her long, tbis coukd be a sign of her just settling in and getting used to her environment.
The bulging eyes doesn't seem to be anything risky health wise, but it could be a sign of vitamin A deficiency.

Also, what's her diet like? What are you feeding her. They are omnivores, but predominantly go after a varieties of insects, berries, and occasional animal matter, like ground turkey, frog legs, they've even been found inside dead deer eating. Variety is key.

Trying making her water bowl a little more accessible for her to get into and soak, as they are closely related to aquatic turtles.

taquito23

Dallas
I'll do my best. How long have you had her? If you haven't had her long, tbis coukd be a sign of her just settling in and getting used to her environment.
The bulging eyes doesn't seem to be anything risky health wise, but it could be a sign of vitamin A deficiency.

Also, what's her diet like? What are you feeding her. They are omnivores, but predominantly go after a varieties of insects, berries, and occasional animal matter, like ground turkey, frog legs, they've even been found inside dead deer eating. Variety is key.

Trying making her water bowl a little more accessible for her to get into and soak, as they are closely related to aquatic turtles.
Had her since last July. This set up is a few months old. She doesn’t come out to eat much. I’ve noticed she’s stopped since her substrate has dried up.

Her original substrate was just coco chips. And she was always out in the morning looking for food. And even for the first month with the moist topsoil chip set up. Her diet was mostly earth/meal worms. She doesn’t like the leafy greens. But she’ll eat strawberries, blue berries, banana, grape, zucchini. The fruits/veggies were a rare treat tho. So I’d say 80% of her diet was actual insect stuff.

I will move her water bowl.

Should her food bowl be opposite her hide?

Also, the mix of stuff I’m going to leave in there tomorrow will be black soldier fly larva/carrots/zucchini and maybe a sweet potato with this stuff made. (Per the pet reptile stores recs)

Also, they said that I can put vitamin E oil on her eyes to help…

What’s your suggestion on the loss vitamin a deficiency?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
What a cool little guy!

What's it's name?

As DD has hatched and raised nice sparkling baby box turtles...his lead will be good to follow!

You have done a great job....but probably time to tweak your setup.
Looks real dry....think WET! You can run a layer of water under the substrate to keep it wet or spray it constantly but think " bog" more than "dry desert" with box turtles.

I'll watch with you to see what the talent pool suggests.

WTTC!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

taquito23

Dallas
What a cool little guy!

What's it's name?

As DD has hatched and raised nice sparkling baby box turtles...his lead will be good to follow!

You have done a great job....but probably time to tweak your setup.
Looks real dry....think WET! You can run a layer of water under the substrate to keep it wet or spray it constantly but think " bog" more than "dry desert" with box turtles.

I'll watch with you to see what the talent pool suggests.

WTTC!
I was thinking of how to keep it wet….thinking about running some pvc pipe under it with one part sticking out as to be able to just pour water directly into it.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I was thinking of how to keep it wet….thinking about running some pvc pipe under it with one part sticking out as to be able to just pour water directly into it.
Even a microclimate. Dedicated another hide to being the moist area. Sphagnum moss and other things that hold humidity can go under there.