Am I taking care of my Redfooted Tortoise properly?

tamlelover123

Location (City and/or State)
portland oregon
Hey, fellow tortoise owners! I am brand new to having a tortoise and taking care of one. I have had her now for about 4 weeks (since mid Nov). I thought I was doing things right until my red-footed cherry-head tortoise (named Tamale) stopped eating and pooping, pretty much as soon as I set up her home here (after only a few days). She was still drinking water but just not eating. We purchased Tamale from our local Petco here in Portland Oregon. I am writing this in hopes that I can get some feedback on what I might be doing right as well as what I may be doing wrong and could be doing better. I will also provide you with photos.

Firstly my red-footed tortoise lives in a wooden cage indoors. I have a humidity gauge inside the enclosure. I recently read some discussions on this site and it sounds like the one I have is a cheap one so I will be upgrading. I also have a little food bowl with a couple of fake plants. There is also a water bowl that is used for drinking and bathing (i place her into the water bowl daily). When I put Tamale in the water bowl she immediately starts to drink it. Also when she bathes I make sure the filtered water is warm for her. I change it daily.

The cage is basically split into thirds. Two-thirds of the cage is open and allows light to shine in where the water, food, and plants are. The other one-third is the cooler, dark room. It is drier in there without a humidity gauge on that side. I do plan on getting one for that side as well soon. She sleeps under a Petco purchased fake rock/cave on that side. That’s all there is on this dark side of the wood cage.

Also in the first active side of the cage, I have a lamp and a misting system in there. It includes one pump and two sprayers. The tubes transporting the water are on the edges of the cage. The water is sourced from a five-gallon filtered water jug kept at room temperature. The heat/light source is a 160-watt UVB lamp at the moment. The height that it is currently at has the temperature in the low 80s. After the mist system kicks on (every hour) it’s as high as the mid 70’s. Right before it kicks on the humidity is low mid 30s. Again though, I am going tto purchase a new one that is of higher quality. I make sure the food is fresh each day. The substrate i use can be seen in the photos, as well as the cage, the lightbulb, and Tamale herself (we think she is a young female) but not quite a baby?

Her behavior tends to be sleeping in the darkroom at night, coming out to the lit up side of the enclosure, and lying in the sun. She usually comes out around noon or so. Sometimes she stays out until the later evening, until the heat source is turned off. And other times she goes back in the early evening. So it does vary somewhat. i place her in front of the food to encourage her to eat but she just observes it and shows curiosity to the food but she doesn't really eat it.

Update 12/19: As I am writing this up…. Out of nowhere she just ate some baby carrot slices. It’s now been ~3 or 4 days and she seems to have started eating. I started adding bananas and she seems to be taking bites out of these pieces as well. i make sure the food is fresh each day

Update 12/20 & 12/21: she seems to be hiding out in the cold room inside the little PetSmart rock yesterday 12/20 she hid out there the whole day today 12/21 I took her outside of the rock and placed her in front of some spinach and bananas she is eating them.

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1826 (1).jpg
    IMG_1826 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1825 (1).jpg
    IMG_1825 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1824.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg
  • IMG_1823 (1).jpg
    IMG_1823 (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right away, the water dish is wrong and dangerous. Get a low sided clay saucer. The enclosure is way too small for the size tort. It's not even good enclosure for a hatchling as it's open topped
Lighting should be a tube florescent for uvb, they don't really bask and diet should include a lot of items that @ZEROPILOT can tell you more about and also help with temps.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
You need a closed chamber enclosure. You can get a mini green house and put over a properly sized enclosure or buy a closed chamber enclosure. Temperature sweet spot is 84 degrees all around and humidity never below 80% to help prevent molding issues it would be good to switch to fir bark or orchid bark potting media (Not the potting mix) judging by its size a minimum of 8x4 enclosure is needed. Once you close up the enclosure the mister system is not needed. Bananas should be fed rarely. Try feeding Mango, pineapple, Strawberries, kiwi. Arugula, Dandelion greens Mustard greens Radicchio Sprouts Squash Sweet potato Collard greens Mushrooms Blueberries. Just to start

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need a closed chamber enclosure. You can get a mini green house and put over a properly sized enclosure or buy a closed chamber enclosure. Temperature sweet spot is 84 degrees all around and humidity never below 80% to help prevent molding issues it would be good to switch to fir bark or orchid bark potting media (Not the potting mix) judging by its size a minimum of 8x4 enclosure is needed. Once you close up the enclosure the mister system is not needed. Bananas should be fed rarely. Try feeding Mango, pineapple, Strawberries, kiwi. Arugula, Dandelion greens Mustard greens Radicchio Sprouts Squash Sweet potato Collard greens Mushrooms Blueberries. Just to start
Protein needs to be added and how often for the protein and how much fruit long time member @ZEROPILOT can answer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Right away, the water dish is wrong and dangerous. Get a low sided clay saucer. The enclosure is way too small for the size tort. It's not even good enclosure for a hatchling as it's open topped
Lighting should be a tube florescent for uvb, they don't really bask and diet should include a lot of items that @ZEROPILOT can tell you more about and also help with temps.
There's a lot to digest there. And I'm having a bad eye day.
Almost everything you've purchased is incorrect for your Redfoot. Especially the enclosure.
Your temperature needs to be between 80 and 88. Your target temperature should be 82-83. Your humidity needs to be over 70% too. And as others have said. A closed chamber enclosure will take care of all of that.
Are you actually 13 years old?
If so, we can explain to your parents why the things they've already purchased are unfortunately wrong.
That is very unfortunate.
You can feed your Redfoot almost any fresh and unprocessed food that you eat. Meat and cooked eggs included (boiled. Not seasoned) and up to 60% fruit. But your RF will be unable to properly digest food without the correct temperature. And they also can get uncomfortable enough when the lighting and temperature isn't correct to stop eating.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your tortoise is quite beautiful. Thank you for understanding that her needs are specific, and all the best to you as you progress with her proper care!
It will get very easy and very rewarding once you get the parameters worked out.
You've decided on a tropical species and it's not a "beginner level" choice. But it's certainly not too difficult to accommodate

Jackson7

Twin Cities MN
Sorry you already got this far but a cheep and easy way to cover the tank is to get some "poly sheeting" and some spring clips from the hardware store. Should be less than $5.

One reason your temperature is struggling is because the water evaporating cools it off. Covering it up will keep the water from escaping in addition to keeping heat it.

It's not a permanent solution but in the medium term you're going to want a bigger enclosure anyway and in the short term temperature and humidity make a big impact on health.

Good luck