Ambient lighting

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, California
Would this work for ambient lighting for a 4x8 indoor greenhouse enclosure?

Adiding LED Garage Ceiling Light -10000Lm Deformable Ultra Bright Screw in LED Basement Light 6500K 6 Adjustable Panels Shop Light fit for E26 E27 Bulb Socket for Workshop Barn Storage Attic Utility https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG9ZH5CB?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm thinking just one would be enough. It's 6500k and claims 10000 lumens. Too bright?

Last edited by a moderator:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think that many lumens coming from a single light at "standard" height for an enclosure is too bright.

I prefer to have the ambient lighting spread throughout the enclosure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would this work for ambient lighting for a 4x8 indoor greenhouse enclosure?

Adiding LED Garage Ceiling Light -10000Lm Deformable Ultra Bright Screw in LED Basement Light 6500K 6 Adjustable Panels Shop Light fit for E26 E27 Bulb Socket for Workshop Barn Storage Attic Utility https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG9ZH5CB?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm thinking just one would be enough. It's 6500k and claims 10000 lumens. Too bright?
The link doesn't work and I have no idea what all that word salad is trying to convey. Is is a single screw in bulb, or is it 6 adjustable panels? Deformable?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This is for an aldabra, 5" long, 600g. I would like to include live edible plants in pots.
Okay. No need to get grow lights then - you can move plants in and out of enclosure. 4000K is "warmer" than recommended 5000-6500K, but I think it should work. It's color temperature of late morning (opposite to midday for 5000-5500K and overcast midday for 6500K).

5000 lumens spread over 4 ft. length, I think, is not too bright. You can mount the lamp to the top bar of greenhouse frame, a little closer to the basking zone.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Even a "normal" 8-9ft garage ceiling is low for a 10k lumen light. The adjustableness is prob only reason they kinda work, the entire output isn't in one direction.

5k lumens is about the same as a new 4ft t5ho. The second light could work, is definitely better than the first.

I prefer LEDs that have a diffuser for ambient light, especially if it's within a foot or two if the animal.