Animal Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So as it gets closer and closer to college application time I've really been thinking about what I want to do.

I grew up wanting to be an animal trainer for film and television but no one was really supportive of that. I've kind of been pushed to go for a more "logical" career, where I knew I was going to always make money. So I've always tried to push animal training out of my mind even though it's something I really really want to do. Everyones been supportive of going into animal conservation so I was just going to go with that, you know to please the family. But I've finally decided that I'm going to do what I want to do and get into animal training.

My question is does anyone know what I have to do college wise, like what do I major in and what degree should I go for? Also, what colleges in southern california would you suggest?

My other question is what should I do to get experience or get involved?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If Tom doesn't respond here, maybe you should PM him.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I wouldn't know for America.

However over here you'd do it through an apprenticeship. So your working and training at the same time.
If it were me I'd e-mail around all the animal training places i knew off and ask if they fancied an apprentice.

I wanted to be an animal trainer. However I've never really had the guts to actually go about doing it.
I did a Diploma in Performing Arts - which was a start.

I've trained both my dogs several tricks and train my horses tricks too.
Don't think i'd quite be good enough for film though :p

Good luck with everything :) Hope you achieve your dream.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
jaizei said:
If Tom doesn't respond here, maybe you should PM him.

Okay:) I'll wait to see if he does and then if he doesn't I'll message him.

stephiiberrybean said:
I wouldn't know for America.

However over here you'd do it through an apprenticeship. So your working and training at the same time.
If it were me I'd e-mail around all the animal training places i knew off and ask if they fancied an apprentice.

I wanted to be an animal trainer. However I've never really had the guts to actually go about doing it.
I did a Diploma in Performing Arts - which was a start.

I've trained both my dogs several tricks and train my horses tricks too.
Don't think i'd quite be good enough for film though :p

Good luck with everything :) Hope you achieve your dream.

Thanks! That's a good idea, I'll definitely start calling around!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I want to do with something with wild animals :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Hi Sarah,
I responded to someone looking into Conservation work a few weeks ago as well, I've copied most of what I sent her here:

There are many college majors that will lead to a career in conservation. Degrees in Zoology (a common misconception is that this has to do with "zoo keeping", not true but could lead to husbandry), Biology, Ecology, Conservation Biology, Wildlife Ecology/Science/Management, Environmental Science, Earth Science, Marine Biology etc. will get you to where you need to go. There are a lot of good schools out there with excellent programs within all of these sub-disciplines of biology, I'd start by looking into which ones seem right for you. Colorado State has some strong programs, Reno NV has a hot publishing Wildlife Dept as does Humbolt State in CA, Oregon State, and Washington State. If you're looking to venture to the east coast, the top Wildlife Schools are: Virginia Tech, Penn State, SUNY-ESF, University of NH, University of Vermont, and the University of Maine. I graduated from the UMaine with a Wildlife degree and was very pleased! I'm now working on my masters at the SUNY-ESF in the same discipline (Wildlife).

For CA, UC Berkley, Humboldt State, and UC Irvine come to mind for good conservation programs.

I will say this is a competitive field, though it's not as bad as Vet or Med school, you're going to be challenged by your peers and jobs. Advanced degrees (MS/PhD) are becoming the norm across most disciplines and in this field of science (I'm talking biology in a broad sense) we are no exception. I'll leave you with this, I started in this field in 2004 and have never looked back. I love it and I'm sure you will too! I hope you come aboard when college rolls around.

If you want to be an animal trainer, you can and should follow that passion! A college degree in any of the fields I listed above will only help you accomplish this and you may gain contacts for people involved in training while attending college. I don't know much about animal training, though... If you're looking into financially lucrative fields, conservation is not one of them. We don't do this for the money, we do it because it's what we enjoy doing and we make enough to live fairly comfortably. Your wages will all depend on who you work for and how advanced your education is, I think this is true for many fields of science.

I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to PM me if you need or want any more information.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Turtle Guru said:
Mee too:p lol

Redstrike said:
Hi Sarah,
I responded to someone looking into Conservation work a few weeks ago as well, I've copied most of what I sent her here:

There are many college majors that will lead to a career in conservation. Degrees in Zoology (a common misconception is that this has to do with "zoo keeping", not true but could lead to husbandry), Biology, Ecology, Conservation Biology, Wildlife Ecology/Science/Management, Environmental Science, Earth Science, Marine Biology etc. will get you to where you need to go. There are a lot of good schools out there with excellent programs within all of these sub-disciplines of biology, I'd start by looking into which ones seem right for you. Colorado State has some strong programs, Reno NV has a hot publishing Wildlife Dept as does Humbolt State in CA, Oregon State, and Washington State. If you're looking to venture to the east coast, the top Wildlife Schools are: Virginia Tech, Penn State, SUNY-ESF, University of NH, University of Vermont, and the University of Maine. I graduated from the UMaine with a Wildlife degree and was very pleased! I'm now working on my masters at the SUNY-ESF in the same discipline (Wildlife).

For CA, UC Berkley, Humboldt State, and UC Irvine come to mind for good conservation programs.

I will say this is a competitive field, though it's not as bad as Vet or Med school, you're going to be challenged by your peers and jobs. Advanced degrees (MS/PhD) are becoming the norm across most disciplines and in this field of science (I'm talking biology in a broad sense) we are no exception. I'll leave you with this, I started in this field in 2004 and have never looked back. I love it and I'm sure you will too! I hope you come aboard when college rolls around.

If you want to be an animal trainer, you can and should follow that passion! A college degree in any of the fields I listed above will only help you accomplish this and you may gain contacts for people involved in training while attending college. I don't know much about animal training, though... If you're looking into financially lucrative fields, conservation is not one of them. We don't do this for the money, we do it because it's what we enjoy doing and we make enough to live fairly comfortably. Your wages will all depend on who you work for and how advanced your education is, I think this is true for many fields of science.

I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to PM me if you need or want any more information.

Wow, thank you! This gives me a lot to think about!
I'm definitely not going in to this for the money. As long as I'm doing something I love I'll be happy.

Have you heard anything about UCR's programs? I know their Biology major will let you focus on animal behavior, zoology, or evolution/ecology & that their Biological Sciences' major will let you focus on conservation. I just am not sure if their programs are any good.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
HipsterTorts said:
Turtle Guru said:

Redstrike said:
Hi Sarah,

I'm definitely not going in to this for the money. As long as I'm doing something I love I'll be happy.

Have you heard anything about UCR's programs? I know their Biology major will let you focus on animal behavior, zoology, or evolution/ecology & that their Biological Sciences' major will let you focus on conservation. I just am not sure if their programs are any good.

That's UC Riverside, right? If so, yea they're pretty good!

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Redstrike said:
HipsterTorts said:
Turtle Guru said:

Redstrike said:
Hi Sarah,

That's UC Riverside, right? If so, yea they're pretty good!

Okay thanks! UCR and UC Irvine are both in driving distance so I'll look into both!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Moorpark College in Moorpark... near Thousand Oaks... They have a program you should look into. Its much different then when i went.. but so are the jobs out there..
However.. if you want to make big money.. this will not make it for you.. Especially now a days.
I have many friends and classmates from when I was there... mid 80s.. that did get into and are still in the
Movie Biz... they make a living.. some better then others.. Lots of travel.. not a great family life.. they have great stories
and its excting.. but.....when there are jobs.. the money can be good... with laws changing and computers... the jobs are fewer..
Conservation... not much money in it either... but its a great thing, that is needed.
Some people chose to get jobs in a zoo.. So that way,, they can work with animals, do training, have a home/family life since they dont travel, still not much money to be had.. but they seem happy.
Then some people I know.. do conservation work and volunteer for facilities that have animals... but have another type job to pay the bills etc.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Laura said:
Moorpark College in Moorpark... near Thousand Oaks... They have a program you should look into. Its much different then when i went.. but so are the jobs out there..
However.. if you want to make big money.. this will not make it for you.. Especially now a days.
I have many friends and classmates from when I was there... mid 80s.. that did get into and are still in the
Movie Biz... they make a living.. some better then others.. Lots of travel.. not a great family life.. they have great stories
and its excting.. but.....when there are jobs.. the money can be good... with laws changing and computers... the jobs are fewer..
Conservation... not much money in it either... but its a great thing, that is needed.
Some people chose to get jobs in a zoo.. So that way,, they can work with animals, do training, have a home/family life since they dont travel, still not much money to be had.. but they seem happy.
Then some people I know.. do conservation work and volunteer for facilities that have animals... but have another type job to pay the bills etc.

Thank you I will definitely look into it!
I'm not looking to make big money, just do something I love:)

Status
Not open for further replies.