Annual Checkups?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Neither of you are listening to what i am saying. The nearest vet that knows anything about tortoises in 3 hours away. The vet i see confers with this vet. When my tortoise needed heart surgery, actually eggs removed, i drove the 3 hours because my vet talked to that vet and he wasn't able to handle that. I would not let an MD perform heart surgery on me either, but i go to him 1st. You don't need to ne a heart surgeon to do a fecal test or take an xray and send it to the vet that can absolutely read it.
I understand what you're saying, but a good vet will not assume they know, but admit they are not sure and seek help. He is not googling or relying on a handbook.

No, I understand completely what you are saying....I just do not agree...but I don't have to right?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I think I understand the vet not being a reptile expert but still good thing... at least to an extent, your vet has an x-ray machine and knows a vet who can read it and give back info, you're vet has access to medication and access to a vet that knows how much to administer and for what. Its like a middle man. I suppose it could work out well if it was the only option