Another First

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
2014 has brought on a lot of firsts for us here. Here's a little taste of all this excitement with a quick clip of the first ever (known) USA nesting of a Testudo hermanni hermanni from the locality of Calabria, Italy (Crotone).

Not bad since the Sicilian and Tuscan localities have been producing for the first time ever as well.

http://youtu.be/1Hh-A73ZFJE

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Not really sure what you mean by that. Egg laying is normal and natural process...whether or not they feel pain while it takes place is unknown to us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well Chris. It looks like 2014 will be a landmark year for you. This is cause for celebration! Congratulations on success after years of hard work!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Congrats!!! I hope you post those cute little Italian babies when the arrive!

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Wow, how beautiful, the tortoise and the egg laying. Congratulations, you should be very proud! I hope you have a good hatch rate.

If you don't mind, I have a few annoying questions, lol.

How many total eggs did she lay, and how long did it take? When did she first show signs of being pregnant?

Thanks!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
HermanniChris said:
2014 has brought on a lot of firsts for us here. Here's a little taste of all this excitement with a quick clip of the first ever (known) USA nesting of a Testudo hermanni hermanni from the locality of Calabria, Italy (Crotone).

Not bad since the Sicilian and Tuscan localities have been producing for the first time ever as well.

http://youtu.be/1Hh-A73ZFJE

What a beautiful sight........Love the clear and beautiful marking/pattern on the mother.

Congrats! ! ! ! ! ! !

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you again everyone.

To answer a few questions:

She laid 4 eggs which is considered a large clutch for Testudo hermanni hermanni. These tortoises typically lay 2 to 3 sometimes as little as 1 egg. Double clutching is common and triple clutching can and does happen depending on the individual female.

The act of nesting can take anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours in Hermann's tortoises.

Tortoises become what is called "gravid" with eggs not pregnant. She first showed signs like many of our females about 2 weeks before she committed to oviposition. Like all Hermann's, she paced relentlessly and was restless non stop.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Another First

HermanniChris said:
Thank you again everyone.

To answer a few questions:

She laid 4 eggs which is considered a large clutch for Testudo hermanni hermanni. These tortoises typically lay 2 to 3 sometimes as little as 1 egg. Double clutching is common and triple clutching can and does happen depending on the individual female.

The act of nesting can take anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours in Hermann's tortoises.

Tortoises become what is called "gravid" with eggs not pregnant. She first showed signs like many of our females about 2 weeks before she committed to oviposition. Like all Hermann's, she paced relentlessly and was restless non stop.

I knew "pregnant" wasn't the right word!! I kept thinking grave LOL! I literally sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out the word and then was like 'the heck with it, I will just say pregnant' haha

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow Chris congrats...this new year has certainly been off to an awesome start for you:) you can go ahead and spread that luck at anytime:)