Another male? female? question

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
This evening after his soak I looked under Stump. Last time I looked there was some curvature to his anal scutes. Tonight I noticed that they are completely straight confirming what the vet told me earlier that he is a male tortoise. Does this group concur?

This evening he weighed in at 24 lbs 2 oz. at 1 year and 11 months. He'll have an official 2 years old weigh in on March 2nd.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 6.01.59 PM.png

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is Stump and inside tortoise? He looks like he's never been on dirt, he looks so bright and clean...Mary is dirt stained even after a scrub...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell as I can't see the tail, but the gular looks like it's in the process of changing to a male gular, and what I can see of the tail looks pretty fat and long. Male sulcatas anal scutes point outward, while Stump's are pointing straight back, which is female. But I think HE's right on the cusp of having his male characteristics showing through. Give him another month or so.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In addition to what Yvonne stated, males will have a spot on their plastron that will appear concave close to the anal scutes whereas females are flat. I can't tell by your pic though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention - I LOVE HIS ARMOUR'D FRONT LEGS!!!!!