Another what's the gender thread

Jbabdb

Location (City and/or State)
Socal
Hello Everyone,
I'm JB, long time forum stalker first time poster. As the title says, another what's the gender? So I have a Sulcata I got about 11 years ago. When I bought "him" he was temp sexed male. His name is Slinky. 11 years (and 15") later I haven't seen anything from him as far as male parts... The anal scutes look male, but he has a big fat then tiny little tail after hole. And the plastron is fairly flat...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

JB

Attachments

• IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4771.JPG
    IMG_4771.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. He or she seems very small to me for his age. How has he been raised, what size enclosure, diet, etc?
I'm thinking he is slow to mature. He does look male too me.
I took in a male leopard that was supplose to be the same age as the one I already had. He was about three times smaller. He was raised in a very small enclosure and not kept properly. He couldn't even walk right. After proper room, diet, and some rehabbing, he finally caught up in size to my other one. He was slow to show the signs of being male and I and some forum members actually thought he was going to be a she.
Yours may be slower then most to grow and then to mature.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do want to add, I don't have a sully, but my leopards reach almost that size in 5 years. That's why I'm thinking he's small for his age. Sully's grow much larger then leopards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tail says female, but the anal scutes have not taken their mature form yet. It appears that none of the secondary sexual characteristics are taking form in your tortoise yet. Maturity in sulcatas is more a function of size than age, but yours is still an interesting case.

Would you mind sharing your care and feeding routine with us? Where does the tortoise live, and at what temperatures? And do you know how your baby was started as a hatchling? I'm curious. Most of them reach this size by about 2 years old. A slow grower might take three years. So I'm interested in what led to this size discrepancy.