Ant control

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
I just moved a planter that was in Ralph's enclosure and found a huge ant nest. What is an organic/non toxic remedy that is safe for Ralph for me to get rid of the ants. I read a bit online and apparently bitter cucumber peels are a natural repellant. Can I put those in his enclosure?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
hmmm, where will the ants go?? I've never had a problem with ants in general, so ...i dunno :]
Red ants, right??

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
No, not red ants. They aren't black either. They are a brownish color, just a tad bit bigger than black ants. They are small. As soon as I moved the planter I could see them scurrying to move their eggs. I've sat in the grass in his enclosure and never had one crawl on me, so I am pretty confident they aren't bothering him. Plus I don't see any in his house or on him. I also don't feed him in his enclosure.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I hear cinnamon can work as a repelent. But DE will kill them I think.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i remember reading about this on this very forum. something you can mix with sugar and water and place in a sealed container with holes on the side for ants to go in and out and bring the stuff back home so they all die.

I just don't remember what it was.

*edit

here you go:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8551.html?highlight=ants

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly said:
Unless you have a specific problem with them, why not just leave them alone?

Specifically, they will eventually ATTACK a living tortoise, that's why.

I would dig them out as best you can and replace with fresh dirt.
I sometimes use Ant Granules OUTSIDE the enclosure, but pesticides make me nervous. I just use a small amount right around their holes and check back every few minutes to make sure they are carrying it down to the queen and the rest of the colony underground. They are a huge problem out where we are. Inside the pen, I'll remove the torts, pour a little gasoline down the hole and then light it. Burns for several minutes. They will usually come back above ground somewhere nearby within a couple of days, but in much lower numbers. After two or three repetitions, they don't come back to that spot.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I always grind up chalk and use it on ants and their anthills.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
Shelly said:

Well, I suppose your tort could be struck by lightning as well, but I have seen few tort enclosures with a lightning rod.
Observe your tort for any issues, and it will be fine. Most varieties of ants would take a LONG time to harm any tortoise, so unless you have Fire ants or Amazon Army ants or mutant ants from Mars in your yard, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly said:
Tom said:
Shelly said:

Well, I suppose your tort could be struck by lightning as well, but I have seen few tort enclosures with a lightning rod.
Observe your tort for any issues, and it will be fine. Most varieties of ants would take a LONG time to harm any tortoise, so unless you have Fire ants or Amazon Army ants or mutant ants from Mars in your yard, I wouldn't worry about it.

Shelly, one thing I've learned on this forum is that different people around the globe have different experiences and different concerns. Ants are a serious threat in some places and to recommend somebody "not worry about it", because they are not a problem in your area could be considered reckless. I've seen reptiles, including tortoises, killed by ants in the course of a single day. I'm asking you to please consider your advice carefully.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I've had really good results using diatomacious earth.Sprinkle it on the mound.It's non-toxic.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its used in swimming pool filters and in gardening, so either a pool supply or a garden shop.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Some use diatomacious earth as a dewormer for cats and dogs, Would it work for torts too? A large black ant bit my little Sulcata on the rear leg and he limped around for 4-5 days it stressed him out and he had watery eyes too. I would get rid of the ants.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Yes, I know, this thread is about two and a half weeks old. Its the newest one that popped up on a search for ants.

Wanted to warn people, I almost poisoned my little one today. While putting a bit of DE around the playpen area, since I have fire ants here (a regular nuisance here in Florida), I noticed the bag said highly toxic. I was using some of the pool filter DE. Upon further reading, and a call to the pool supply store, pool filter DE has crystalline silicate mixed in, which is quite toxic. Its also a 'large particle' DE, which is ineffective against insects.

I rinsed the area thoroughly, and moved the outdoor playpen, then hit the web, and found out you do not want DE labeled as an insecticide, as its usually laced with insecticides, or pool filter DE for the crystalline silicate. You want 'food grade' DE, which is all natural, and quite effective (from what I read anyway, need to go get some). If you go to an organic gardening store, make sure the DE is labeled food grade, or go elsewhere.

Hope this helps someone before they have to go on a DE cleanup like I did.

I

irenewhite

There are two categories of ants, one that lives inside the house and the ones that make their nests outside the house. Ant control (link to ant advertising removed by moderator Yvonne) is a difficult process and different strategies are used for different types of ants. Effective controlling of ants starts with the identification of their nests. This also helps to know whether the ants are coming from inside the house or out side. Spraying ants on sighting them may prove useless as the ants sprayed will be only a part of the colony. The entire colony with the queen and the eggs are generally hidden. Eliminating the queens and the eggs in their nest is an effective remedy of getting rid of ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.