Ant problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

black mamba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
I have ants in the back yard where the turtle roams and eats. Will the ants harm her at all? She is about 3 years old and about 7 inches long. Im in socal and the weather is to nice to keep her in all day but i will be at work till 5. Should I worry?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Red ants or black ants?

Red ants might kill the tortoise. They usually go after dead bodies, but I have had an attack on a desert tortoise that happened to walk over an ant hill and got covered in ants and bitten all over.

Black ants are a nuisance, but aren't harmful.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Are you from LA? If so, in most cases you'll be encountering black ants, which are mostly harmless. They can stress out your tort though if for some reason they decide they want to attack. Red ants can be super dangerous because they are far more aggressive than the black.

Find out where the ant nest/s is and try to block off your tort from getting there if it's an issue. Otherwise it's not a big deal. My tort godzilla stomps black ants (which are everywhere) in my backyard and has never had issues. He even sleeps next to trails of them once in a while.

HankC13

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hey mamba! I'm in LA too and the black ants don't seem to do anything but crawl all over your tort. Mine's a hatchling and they don't really bug him. Just keep them away from their path. The get aggressive when you mess with their line, but individual ants should be harmless.

oh and GO LAKERS!!!! We blew it in game 1 but Mavs are choke artists so we're not out of it.

black mamba

5 Year Member
los angeles
HankC13 said:
Hey mamba! I'm in LA too and the black ants don't seem to do anything but crawl all over your tort. Mine's a hatchling and they don't really bug him. Just keep them away from their path. The get aggressive when you mess with their line, but individual ants should be harmless.

oh and GO LAKERS!!!! We blew it in game 1 but Mavs are choke artists so we're not out of it.

Yea they are the black ants. can't find the nest but see a few trails here and there. And when i water they come out a bit more. Yea lakers messed up game one we should be ok we always adjust. Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.