Ants

Hector108

Just yesterday i built an outdoor hideout for my tort. I found some of these getting in there. Do they pose a threat to my tort?

Attachments

• 1462116090620.jpg
    1462116090620.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 19

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Short answer. No.

If they're a nuisance you can use food grade diatomaceous earth to control them, but it doesn't work if it gets wet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just yesterday i built an outdoor hideout for my tort. I found some of these getting in there. Do they pose a threat to my tort?

Yes. Ants can kill a tortoise. The smaller the tortoise, the greater the risk. You need to figure out where the ant's nest is and exterminate them.

I lost a russian to ant attack two years ago...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very large mammals such as dogs and even cows have been killed by fire ants.
I have no idea if you have a fire ant there or a less dangerous type.
In numbers fire ants can be very dangerous.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It very much depends on the ant. If they're the type that give only give you an itchy nip, they're unlikely to trouble your tort. If they're worse than that then you need to deal with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you Hector?

Here in the southwest we have several species of dangerous ants, and only one species that I would not consider dangerous. We don't have fire ants here, but we have several other species that are jus as bad.

Hector108

I placed the shed right under a tree where i barley noticed a bunch of ants are. If i move the shed do you think they will go away

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I placed the shed right under a tree where i barley noticed a bunch of ants are. If i move the shed do you think they will go away

Not likely. The ants need a food source, and they are very good at finding it.

This will be an ongoing problem for you. You will need to keep a constant eye out for new infestations.

Hector108

I removed the leaves it had in there, plucked out fresh leaves from the tree, washed them and added some hay and dead grass. When they become dead leaves i will put them in the shed and place it away from the tree in a place where i rarley see ants.

Hector108

I've seen this spray that smells and contains mint and they say it kills and repels ants and even roaches. I don't know it that is true though.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey Hector, I'm currently working in outdoor enclosure for my babies. I'm in Austin area and we get fire ants here big time!!!! I'm trying orange oil and molasses per one old Texas Farmer's advise. We'll see how that works

Hector108

I might give it a try, but what do you think about the mint spray. Should i try it

Pearly

5 Year Member
It's all organic and natural. I haven't really done in-depth reading on it yet. I have treated my tort garden and given it few days to work. I'll be out there later today so we'll see how it worked.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
My leopard's heated box was infested with ao many ants. They had so much eggs in there also so I did a search here and found out about the Terro liquid ant bait (about $5-7 at walmart, target, etc). I put some in his enclosure and within 2 days no more ants to this day.
It's pretty neat: the ants don't die instantly; instead they have time to bring the stuff to the queen and then it eradicates the whole lot of them.
I know it is safe to use but I placed them in places where mu tort can't get to it like under the substrate where most of the ants hide and I put a rock over it. Also, under the elevated heat mat I have in his box.

Rue

Canada
It all depends on the species of ant. Most aren't an issue. In general, they are also good for the control of other bugs (biocontrol) and debris. So no need to kill ALL ants.

They estimate, if I remember correctly...that there are at least 20,000 species (possibly more). We, personally, live on a giant ant nest...I've given up. LOL. I spray the exterior of our house at least once a year with permethrin or something similar. That keeps them out of the house. I keep the yard clean. No sticky messes left lying around. I make sure there's nothing sticky inside to attract them as well. Our worst ant species would likely be the Carpenter ant. But even then, they do good work by breaking down/decomposing dead wood...so they are an important part of our ecosystem.

Now...that doesn't mean that you have to let them - or any dangerous ant species, live under your chair, so to speak.

I did Google the most dangerous ants...looking for a list...this will do:

http://www.stepbystep.com/top-10-most-dangerous-ants-90695/

In short, if you're concerned...move the tortoise enclosure and kill the colony with an insecticide and keep up with any new nests starting in the vicinity.

They will be impossible to control if you build on top of a nest and can't use a chemical insecticide.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Molasses is just sugar, it works on bugs (except honeybees) bcs supposedly they can't handle all that sugar. Fire ants just don't like it and will probably move to your neighbors' yards. I poured orange oil mix into my mounds and treated the whole tort garden and around with dry molasses. If that works I'll have to figure out more economical way to maintain it as the bag of molassed I got was 13$ and I used 3/4 of it. Think liquid is the one that most farmers use