Any ideas/advice on lighting please.

LozTuz

Location (City and/or State)
England
I went away on holiday for a week and took my little tortoise (Willie) with me, I was worried about doing this but with advice from this and other forums I decided to do it as I wasn't happy leaving Willie in someone's care just yet as I haven't had him long.
Willie settled really well in his travel home and actually ate better and seemed more active than when he is at home.
Does anyone know of any other tortoises not liking a UV strip light? I'm asking because this is the only difference really between the two?
thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of UV strip light? Post a pic.
Also, what do you mean the only difference between the two?

LozTuz

England
I mean the substrate was the same, heating was the same, rocks and slate was the same and food was the same in both the standard home enclosure and holiday enclosure (which was a long plastic underbed storage tub) but apart from that the only real difference was no UV strip light and location obviously.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I mean the substrate was the same, heating was the same, rocks and slate was the same and food was the same in both the standard home enclosure and holiday enclosure (which was a long plastic underbed storage tub) but apart from that the only real difference was no UV strip light and location obviously.
What type of UV strip and at what distance is it mounted? Also, how many hours a day do you run the UV?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you take get the UV from the sun while on Vaca? He may be not liking being inside. Once they have a taste of outside, they want to be outside.
Answer the questions asked about the light or we can't help figure it out.

LozTuz

England
I run the uv light from 6am till 6pm. When we was away I put his holiday home outside we we was there and then inside when we out.
I have a 15w uva, uvb 140mm light mounted 12cm from the bottom.