any ideas for turtle pond fencing

Anthony Hill

IMG_20140624_143026.jpgI am planning on getting a slider for my pond just need to find some advice for a fence that would look good and keep them in.The pond is around 1000gallons and 24inches at the deepest.

Attachments

• 20140624_143751.jpg
    20140624_143751.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20140624_143748.jpg
    20140624_143748.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
That's very pretty but I'm not sure what to fence it with. Could you maybe do a low stone wall?

Anthony Hill

my main problem is that on one side the pond is a foot away from my patio and turtle proof fencing would be fine by those tall grasses and behind the burm where its hidden ,but I don't want it to be a eyesore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the yard fenced so the turtle can't escape? Here's what I think - I don't know if I'm all wet or not. Even if the turtle gets out of the pond into the yard, he's going to eventually go back to the pond because its his water source. He will realize eventually that the pond is his new home and he will stay in there once he learns that.

If you don't want to take a chance, go to a big name home improvement store. They sell all kinds of little decorative fences you just push into the ground. Something like this:

http://www.atgstores.com/fencing/em...gclid=CNPHusW6lb8CFYhafgodpy8Agg&gclsrc=aw.ds

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Anthony Hill

Is the yard fenced so the turtle can't escape? Here's what I think - I don't know if I'm all wet or not. Even if the turtle gets out of the pond into the yard, he's going to eventually go back to the pond because its his water source. He will realize eventually that the pond is his new home and he will stay in there once he learns that.

If you don't want to take a chance, go to a big name home improvement store. They sell all kinds of little decorative fences you just push into the ground. Something like this:

http://www.atgstores.com/fencing/em...gclid=CNPHusW6lb8CFYhafgodpy8Agg&gclsrc=aw.ds

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
would they dig under

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sliders are not really diggers, so I doubt it. If you want something natural looking, I would go with wood posts from local home improvement store. You can get some that looked age, so they should fit nicely with the look.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Small wood barrier? They're not too much in on the digging, so just something small.