Any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
One of my tortoises has a swollen eye can anyone recommend a cream which you can buy to treat it? Also I need to get some panacur paste. I have only ever got it from vets, but going to buy it online. Which type do you get as there are different ones for different animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not a good idea to give out dosages on the internet because the medication comes in different strengths. You can buy powder from your vet that you mix with water, and he would have to tell you the dosage. Or you can buy the Panacur horse de-wormer. That's what I use. The Panacur that I buy is 10% and I use 1/2 ml per pound of body weight. But that isn't the correct dosage for anything other than the horse de-wormer. As for the swollen eye, I swear by Pfizer's Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment. But bear in mind that its for an injury or for an eye that needs soothing. If the swollen eye is because of a nutritional problem, the ointment will sooth the eye, but will not effect the swelling.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Careful with the self dosing of panacur unless you have had it predosed by your vet before. You can always call the vet and let him know you want to dose your torts with panacur and ask for a dose and schedule for them. Some vets will tell you over the phone. Pancur poisons the worms and an overdose could cause problems with your torts. Can you use pumpkin or butternut squash to de worm instead? Do you know they have worms or is this preventative?

M

Maggie Cummings

danieledwards2006 said:
One of my tortoises has a swollen eye can anyone recommend a cream which you can buy to treat it? Also I need to get some panacur paste. I have only ever got it from vets, but going to buy it online. Which type do you get as there are different ones for different animals.

Butternut squash is a great dewormer and there's no danger with it...just cook it until it's soft like how you would eat a baked potato and give it to your tort. they love it and the parasite don't...

M

Maggie Cummings

I guess it does, I use it and my animals haven't ever had parasites and on a Sulcata list that same subject recently came up and several long term keepers said they feed it and their animals haven't ever had parasites...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
It is my understanding that it does not kill the eggs. Once an egg hatches, it stops it from inbedding into the intestine so it can be flushed from the body. Thus feeding it once a week keeps worms away. It works great as a preventative.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
For the eye you can try artificial tears which come in gel or drop form.

I recently used some eye drops called 'cool eyes ' on one of my tortoises which had gummed up, cloudy eyes and this did seemt to help. The active ingredient is hypromellose. This is not harmful and can be used up to once an hour.

These eye drops and gels can be good if the tortoise has some kind of eye irritation. But if its an infection you would need something else I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.