Any Indian Star Tortoise breeders selling hatchlings?

tempest979

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Thanks! I actually need a regular Indian Star. They are the smallest of the stars and I live in NYC. Not much space for bigger tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! I actually need a regular Indian Star. They are the smallest of the stars and I live in NYC. Not much space for bigger tortoises.
This comes up regularly. We just talked about this here. Its worth a read through for you: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/getting-indian-star-tortoise-any-tips.215904/#post-2126148

Burmese stars make much better pets, and the males really don't get all that much bigger than Indians.

Whichever way you go, read through both of these. Most of the care info out in the world is just plain wrong. These threads can make the difference between success and failure:

If you still want an Indian, check with @G-stars or @Rodriguez Chelonians here on this forum or on FB for a healthy, properly started tortoise that will actually survive. Many of the ones purchased at shows or pet shops don't.

tempest979

NY
This comes up regularly. We just talked about this here. Its worth a read through for you: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/getting-indian-star-tortoise-any-tips.215904/#post-2126148

Burmese stars make much better pets, and the males really don't get all that much bigger than Indians.

Whichever way you go, read through both of these. Most of the care info out in the world is just plain wrong. These threads can make the difference between success and failure:

If you still want an Indian, check with @G-stars or @Rodriguez Chelonians here on this forum or on FB for a healthy, properly started tortoise that will actually survive. Many of the ones purchased at shows or pet shops don't.

Already read your guide on Indian Stars Tom. It was a good read and much better than the random advice people on reddit give, which I sometimes think is very questionable. And yes I have my heart set on an Indian Star, I like the look of them more too. Not sure why. It would have been great if you bred and sold Indian Stars, you'd be the first I'd gone to to get one.

tempest979

NY

Just spoke to G Star too but unfortunately he only has Sri Lankan.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just spoke to G Star too but unfortunately he only has Sri Lankan.
Chris and Amber are awesome people and start their babies the same or better than me. Hopefully, they will have something for you.

Good luck, and please post pics when the time comes. I too think the Indians are gorgeous. Lucky for me, I do have the space, and my adults can all live outside year round. I like the personality of the Burms better.

tempest979

NY
Chris and Amber are awesome people and start their babies the same or better than me. Hopefully, they will have something for you.

Good luck, and please post pics when the time comes. I too think the Indians are gorgeous. Lucky for me, I do have the space, and my adults can all live outside year round. I like the personality of the Burms better.
Trying to get one here from someone reputable vs pet stores where they could be sickly or not even captive bred. If I don't find one here I'll try morphmarket. If I lived where you are, I'd have the courage to get the most beautiful tortoise, a Radiated tortoise. Unfortunately NY is too cold and they are too big to be kept indoors, wouldn't be right either. Thanks for the advice, and I intend to follow your guide closely.