Any 'special' treatment for very tiny redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Ok, we went to the pet store today and acquired two new redfoots (quite proud of my self - managed to resist a troop of 3 sub-adult peruvians). Anyhow - these are numbers 6&7 and the others are all healthy and growing - so I'm pretty comfortable on 'redfoots in general' (follow turtle tarry sheet).

However - these two are tiny (well into 'educational only') - the yolk sac is fully healed and they are certainly able to eat greens (which they are both doing).

Our previous smallest was 3.5 inches (now 5) - so is there anything 'special' I need to know ?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The main thing is making sure they stay hydrated. Lower body volume means easier dessication. Once that is covered and temps are okay, you should be good to go as they are already eating well. Since you already keep RFs, you seem ideally situated for their care. Enjoy. :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I think you know the role.....bathe everyday.....big waterbowl...i thinkhydrations is the maine thing.....oh yes....and losing them ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are those that would suggest that you not offer calcium, UVB, or meat protein to babies. I am not sure of the rationale of any of these comments.

There was a thread that baby torts may be more insectivorous than we think, and I think they have a point. If I was doing really little ones again, I would offer a lot more insects, worms, larvae, etc. than I used to. Also baby shells are soft and need to be good and solid as one step to minimize pyramiding- so proper doses of calcium and vitamin D or UVB.

Other than that- you may need to chop some of the food up a bit.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Ok, tomorrow is protein day - perhaps I'll give them a very, very tiny amount and then build them up. They had been 'pellet only' until today - but got the hang of romaine very, very quickly.
We normally try to avoid UVB (seems silly to pay for UV in Florida) - was thinking of putting them in a 50% shade/50% 'exposed' rubbermaid for an hour around 5:00 in the evening ....
Calcium - dose their food? or just go the cuttlebone route <the rest of the tribe like the cuttle to be 'flaked' and scattered all over the pen>

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
UVB- I agree. If natural sunlight is available, always go for it. Just make sure they have access to shade as well.

You may want to think about a 'play pen'- a part of the garden you can make a simple pen in- walls that are pretty snug to the ground, protective caps on the corners, a decent hide, and lots of natural plants to munch or hide under- you can set them in for a while without worrying about them. It does not need to be as large, secure, or equipped as a true outdoor pen would.

Calcium- aim for good calcium food choices. Calcium absorption is a bit of a tricky thing. The finer the calcium, the easier it is to absorb. If the diet is light in calcium, offer a little supplement. Fine powders are probably more effective than cuttle bone in the long run, but a cuttle bone offers variety, crunchiness, beak wear, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.