Anybody else in Texas worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
With the crazy HOT weather we are having, I was just wondering if anyone else is worried about keeping their Torts out 24/7?

I am keeping them as hydrated as possible...but I am still worried that this may not be enough. I mean really day 50 with no rain and day 20 of 100 plus temps. It's 105 right now....

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It was 103 in Southern Arkansas today. Ran the sprinklers three different times.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as the have plenty of shade they should be fine, go out with a temp gun and see what the temps are under the shade, you might be surprised how much cooler it is in the shade, Of course wetting them down will help.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
dmmj said:
As long as the have plenty of shade they should be fine, go out with a temp gun and see what the temps are under the shade, you might be surprised how much cooler it is in the shade, Of course wetting them down will help.
LOL I did just that today.Keeping the ground wet,I was able to keep it down to the high 80's-low 90's. It does help a lot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I watched on a news station that there is a town in Texas that has used up 99%and of its water! Which leaves only 1% for that town....that is so crazy! The US sells our water to other countrys while we ourselves are literally running out .....:(

EricIvins

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I watched on a news station that there is a town in Texas that has used up 99%and of its water! Which leaves only 1% for that town....that is so crazy! The US sells our water to other countrys while we ourselves are literally running out .....:(

That just means poor planning on whoever manages the water........

The Heat index was 106 today, but the Torts could care less......They know what heat is and how to deal with it........

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We have a sprinkler near our torts enclosure and it goes off several times a day, and right now it's doing a good job, just hope we get some cooler weather soon...

LindaF

5 Year Member
I brought my red foot in. I just couldn't be around to keep it sprayed down enough. I noticed he was whistling when he breathed so he was just too dry. We go out for very early walks only now.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Morla deals with those temps often and it doesn't seem to faze her. When I do pull her out from where ever she is hiding, she always feels cool to the touch, so it can't be that bad. We've had a few monsoons this season so far, and the dripper runs about every 3 days.

ascott said:
The US sells our water to other countrys while we ourselves are literally running out .....:(
Replace water with just about anything and you hit the nail on the head. Sadly.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
This heat is so intense! I put the sprinklers on the box turtles and red-foots every evening and morning to cool them off. They have a ton of plants to hide under and water holes to soak in. I just found four of my adult red-foots sleeping in their water hole. It's 11:00 pm and it's still 100 degrees outside. I think it's been something like 35 days with temps over 100. We do have a cool front coming thought, looks like it will get down to 106 this weekend. :)

-Matt

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, I am seeing the same with my torts. I do have their enclosure in the shade. They do get the sprinkler on for 5 minutes 6 times a day (it's on a timer). They are cool to the touch. I think the Temp. Gun will be my next purchase.... They just don't seem to move around as much or eating as much. Guess they are preserving their energy.. The water pan stays full and they know where it is at... I have to admit, I do feel guilty and put them in it at least once a day. (Just to make sure they are drinking and getting some water.) Hup, sprinkler just came on for the last time tonight. It is now 97.... at 11 p.m

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Mine seem to be exhibiting pretty normal behavior. I've even had two red-foots lay eggs recently, I figured that it would be a while till I saw eggs.

-Matt

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
It is so hot in San Diego (Ramona) that I am taking my CDTs out in the morning and late afternoon.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I didn't mean to imply that they were not eating. It just seems like they are not eating as much. Of course this is what I put in their enclosure, they also have plants that they may favor more and are eating them. Just my observations through this heat wave.

Heat index was 122 yesterday. With pretty much the same forecast for today. That does not feel good to me. I am going in the morning to try and get one of those Temp Guns. I hope they carry them at Home Depot, if not I will be stuck ordering it on-line.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yeah... hot weather can be tough for them. You can bring them in if you have a good indoor set-up, but more realistically you better options are to do what has been described- good plantings, watering, etc.

If I could offer a couple other possibilities...

1. Someone mentioned drippers. These are great- rig up things like milk jugs or 5 gallon buckets with tiny holes so they drip steadily on plants, a mud puddle, or a water dish. You get moisture, movement, and more. Not great for really high temps, but really helps to take the edge off if you don't want to run sprinklers.

2. Dig out a hide. Red-foots are not diggers, but they use dug-out hides in the wild. There are lots of ways to do this, but something like a post-hole digger used at a sharp angle will work for a temporary small burrow. You can also pile up loose soil, leaves, some sand, and more to make a loose pile they will dig into.

3. Try a mud wallow. Loosen up some soil, wet it down, set a dripper over it... A muddy Red-foot is usually a happy Red-foot.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks Mark. I have the sprinkler on a timer and that seems to be keeping the enclosure very wet and moist. I was just wondering if with the low humidity and high temps, I was stressing my little guys out. They all appear normal...it's just that my Mother instinct that thinks I should do more.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
It WAS 106 in Houston yesterday ,
My Enclosure is in my backyard which has 4 live oak trees .
Stays shady .
Living near Galveston we seem to alway have a south breeze blowing off the Gulf .
Haven't notice a big difference in the way they are acting.
They do get the sprinkler turn on in the evenings.
With that said: IT'S DOG GONE HOT DOWN HERE.......
I have to work it it while Bubba,Archie ,Edith & Blondie are kicked back under the oaks eating a fresh cool salad.:)
Mike D.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Got the temp gun this weekend, but with my work schedule haven't really been able to shoot the temps in the afternoon like I have wanted. But will have that chance tomorrow thru thursday. I will keep you guys posted.

I was surprised I picked up the Robi model at Home Depot for about $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.