Outside enclosure in Texas

AdamK

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hello,
My hermann tortoise loves the outdoors. He likes to hang out in his outside enclosure that I built for him with a secure chicken wire top. I was happy with the enclosure until this heat wave that has been in North Texas for the second week in a row with temps in the upper 90s and even over 100 every single day. Plus with the humidity the heat index is in 100s. Is this weather safe for my little one (6 months old). He seems he likes it, but I am worried since little ones can’t regulate their body temperature as adults do. He has 2/3 of the enclosure in full shade with water, hiding area, wet moss etc. Please advise how to keep him safe during these extreme temps. Thank you!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
Hello,
My hermann tortoise loves the outdoors. He likes to hang out in his outside enclosure that I built for him with a secure chicken wire top. I was happy with the enclosure until this heat wave that has been in North Texas for the second week in a row with temps in the upper 90s and even over 100 every single day. Plus with the humidity the heat index is in 100s. Is this weather safe for my little one (6 months old). He seems he likes it, but I am worried since little ones can’t regulate their body temperature as adults do. He has 2/3 of the enclosure in full shade with water, hiding area, wet moss etc. Please advise how to keep him safe during these extreme temps. Thank you!
How old is your tortoise?
Young tortoises shouldn’t be kept outside, they should be housed in a closed chamber where you have more control over humidity and temperature Levels. I’m also in Texas, the humidity is almost not here is really dry.