Aphids >:(

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I thought I was safe.
They killed my nasturtiums last year and I wasn't going to let them do it again.
I picked a leaf from his enclosure and there it was, staring right at me.

This means war.

Is there any way that I can get rid of them that are safe for torts?

And can they harm torts?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I thought I was safe.
They killed my nasturtiums last year and I wasn't going to let them do it again.
I picked a leaf from his enclosure and there it was, staring right at me.

This means war.

Is there any way that I can get rid of them that are safe for torts?

And can they harm torts?
You're too funny, over the years I've noticed that certain bugs are attracted to certain plants. I used to have gorgeous roses, all kinds of hybrids that were not suited for my climate zone ... They were getting attacked by aphids, thrips and all kinds of other things, never mind diseases like fungus, black rust etc.., garden stores had spray for all of them. My garden cabinet in the gatage was full of colorful spray bottles before I knew it.. This was long time ago! Before I had decided to go all natural! Organic! Lost most roses, orchids, and other precious specimens, but I feel much better about gardening now. About nasturtium, I can't grow it here, it's too hot, but aphids are not always bad news. I grow Butterfly Weed, and couple of times a year the tips are just COVERED with aphids! It's gross!!! But... Very soon I start seeing more and more Ladybugs who feast on aphids... So... Perhaps your garden store sells ladybugs? Many do, they sell them dormant (in cool containers) or you can try spraying with insecticidal soap (it won't hurt your animals) . Anyway after years of trying the sprays and chemicals I decided, it was a lost battle and be ok with not being able to grow some plants here as to me it would be full time job to create optimal environment for them. For your nasturtiums remember that aphids will probably not kill the plant, but they will weaken it by sucking out juices from those young buds, you can try washing them off daily with shower head attached to your garden hose and definitely try the ladybugs. If you have enough plants to go around between you and those aphids, then you may just start seeing more ladybugs (they know where the food is!) I don't really try to kill or eradicate any bugs/diseases anymore. I see them as the way my garden talks to me. It lets me know when it needs something , like: mom, give me compost! Or water! Or air! (this happens when plants get ivergrown and too crowded). One thing for sure, my garden has taught me, it's PATIENCE. So : try washing those bugs with water (daily) until you can invade the place with natural predators (ladybugs)