Aquarium help

Hopefulworld

Location (City and/or State)
Orleans, Ontario (Canada)
Hi,

So we've had two red eared sliders for about 12 to 14 years now. They were from the same clutch; one is a male and the other is a female. They get along great (Thankfully). However, a while back we had to take out all plastic plants and any nonbig rock because both of them tried eating them. Since then, when we buy things we have to take off all fake plants and be careful about what we buy since they still try to eat the plants whenever they are introduced. That being said, their aquarium is slightly sad... they have pebble rocks on the bottom, a cave toy thing big enough to sit on and swim under, as well as a floating land thing with lights on a timer. I'm looking for help as I would like to give them more... but we can't put any vegetation because our turtles simply won't stop trying to eat them. Any advice?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry if this post upsets you because we've been doing something wrong... but please don't be overly critical of the fact I'm looking for idea's now, as my mother is the owner and I am scarcely 18.. we got them when I was 4-6, and a child doesn'T always think of these things. Thank you :)

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
If you really want to give them more, I think the thing they want most is more room. A lot of reptiles like turtles and tortoises will take as much space as you can give them. So if you really have that much to spare, I suggest getting them a bigger tank.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi,

So we've had two red eared sliders for about 12 to 14 years now. They were from the same clutch; one is a male and the other is a female. They get along great (Thankfully). However, a while back we had to take out all plastic plants and any nonbig rock because both of them tried eating them. Since then, when we buy things we have to take off all fake plants and be careful about what we buy since they still try to eat the plants whenever they are introduced. That being said, their aquarium is slightly sad... they have pebble rocks on the bottom, a cave toy thing big enough to sit on and swim under, as well as a floating land thing with lights on a timer. I'm looking for help as I would like to give them more... but we can't put any vegetation because our turtles simply won't stop trying to eat them. Any advice?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry if this post upsets you because we've been doing something wrong... but please don't be overly critical of the fact I'm looking for idea's now, as my mother is the owner and I am scarcely 18.. we got them when I was 4-6, and a child doesn'T always think of these things. Thank you :)
I doubt very much that people will be upset with you here. They'll just try to help you. I don't have turtles but I've seen that same behavior in turtles at a pet shop. All that tells me is that they do eat vegetation at times. Wellcome ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know about turtles, but what about some real plants? There are usually lots of aquarium plants for sale at a tropical fish store. You would need to research to be sure a particular plant was not toxic. I googled "edible freshwater aquarium plants" and got lots of hits.

It could be that there is a nutrient they are trying to get in plants. They would probably gulp down a lot of the plants in very little time. But if they get what they are in search of, they may taper off and leave them alone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with what Karen has said. What are you feeding the turtles? They must be looking for some nutrient or other that is missing from their diet. Most of the name brand pellet foods for water turtles are quality items, and you can also offer some real veggies and animal protein occasionally.

I'm wondering how franklinthetortoise knew what size aquarium you have the turtles in? Usually when they start biting each other is when you think about the aquarium being too small. Does your aquarium have a landing dock for the turtles to climb out onto and sit under the light?

If you buy real aquarium plants with the idea in mind that you're buying them for the turtles to eat, it's not so hard on you when they actually eat them! :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi,

Thanks!

I get a lot of my aquatic plants from eBay. The turtles eat them eventually but you can get a bunch for about $10. Also instead of a tank have you thought about a stock tank or small kiddie pool?

MNGuy

Minneapolis, MN
Hello and welcome. I'm glad you're trying to do more for your turtles. That is very commendable. And I understand your limitations as a teenager as well; I've been there!

How big is your tank? Getting the largest enclosure possible for your budget and space would be the first ideal change. You can find great deals on Craigslist, local Facebook groups or local aquarium clubs.

If that's not possible, I would suggest adding strong, heavy driftwood in the corners of the tank that the turtles can swim around, rest on or climb on top of to bask. Just make sure they won't trap the turtles underwater. Turtles really like and need a lot of space to swim and crawl along the bottom of a tank, so it's important not to overcrowd a tank. Red-eared sliders get so big, too.

You can also add more than one turtle dock/land area so they have options even if the basking light is just over one area.

Regarding live plants, you're right -- they won't survive in a turtle tank. But they are a great source of food and temporary enrichment. I would suggest getting some VERY EASY, fast-producing plants like hornwort and anacharis and growing them in a plastic tub or spare 10 gallon tank with a grow light or next to a sunny window (or outside in the spring and summer), and occasionally harvesting some and throwing it in the turtle tank for food and enrichment. Keep a "garden" of these plants growing outside of your turtle tank at all times so you always have a supply. I have water lettuce and frogbit in my newt tank under an LED, and I am constantly pulling out extra plants and giving them away or throwing them away. Many plants are easy to reproduce.

Good luck!

Hopefulworld

I agree with what Karen has said. What are you feeding the turtles? They must be looking for some nutrient or other that is missing from their diet. Most of the name brand pellet foods for water turtles are quality items, and you can also offer some real veggies and animal protein occasionally.

I'm wondering how franklinthetortoise knew what size aquarium you have the turtles in? Usually when they start biting each other is when you think about the aquarium being too small. Does your aquarium have a landing dock for the turtles to climb out onto and sit under the light?

If you buy real aquarium plants with the idea in mind that you're buying them for the turtles to eat, it's not so hard on you when they actually eat them! :)

We have the biggest aquarium that we can purchase; they don't bite each other and it's probably a couple of feet at least in length. Yes, there is a landing doc and they rotate using it without any issues (I'm often in the same room as them for hours and can see their behavior). They are fed pellets, as well as occasionally getting dried shrimp and mealworms as treats. They also get veggies and a dried red fruit that comes with the shrimp and mealworms. I haven't thought of buying real plants, but I also want to give them stuff to play with; any ideas?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Hopefulworld

To utilize more space you could build a diy land area that sits on the top of the tank. Then you could completely fill up the aquarium and your turtles would have a larger land area. Something like this for exampleView attachment 312717

Since one is female and the other is male, if we do this, would they mate? Or do turtles have a sense of "siblings are off-limits"?

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Since one is female and the other is male, if we do this, would they mate? Or do turtles have a sense of "siblings are off-limits"?
An enclosure like that may look like a good place for a nest to a turtle. As to my current knowledge, I think they will mate in there, even if they are "siblings". To me it looks as if they're already getting along in the tank so they might consider mating if you add that.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your turtles are going to mate they're going to mate regardless if they have any land or not or if they're siblings. Currently the way you have it you don't have anywhere for the female to nest so if she does end up gravid your running the risk of her becoming egg bound and that can kill her. Also, she can lay eggs without even mating. The eggs just won't be fertilized. So it would be much better to give them a bigger land area. It would give them more water too swim in too.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I would put some anacharis plants in the tank. Buy some live goldfish or minnows depending on turtle size. They are a good addition to their diet. Also almost every red eared slider I've dealt with loves night crawlers ( earth worms). These items may stop your turtles from eating inappropriate things.