Aquarium question

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have a brand new 40 gallon breeder tank purchased from PetCo. Do I need to fill it and let it sit a few days to make sure it's water tight?
Or should I just assume it is ok? It looks fine.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have a brand new 40 gallon breeder tank purchased from PetCo. Do I need to fill it and let it sit a few days to make sure it's water tight?
I just set them up but check things thoroughly when it is first filled to be sure there is no leak anywhere.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Aaaaaand another question.

The flat glass top has a plastic strip attached at the back to prevent moisture from corroding the light fixture that will sit on top.
But this leaves NO place for the TUBING to the canister filter to enter and exit unless I cut holes in the plastic.
Should I cut holes?
IMG_0027.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've never used that, but I have my florescent fixture just sitting on the top with no glass lid several years and I've never had a problem with corrosion. Mine doesn't even have plastic over the light. If you left that off I think the worst that happen is a little evaporation.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've never used that, but I have my florescent fixture just sitting on the top with no glass lid several years and I've never had a problem with corrosion. Mine doesn't even have plastic over the light. If you left that off I think the worst that happen is a little evaporation.
Thanks Toddrick!!!!:):<3:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I would totally clean it first, let it work (lights, heat and all) for a week...then I would drain that water and fill and repeat....what are you putting in the tank?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I would totally clean it first, let it work (lights, heat and all) for a week...then I would drain that water and fill and repeat....what are you putting in the tank?

It’ll be my mud turtle’s new, bigger home! Her 20 gal long is getting a bit cramped for her.
I plan to have some fish in with her: a school of Cory cats, maybe some danios and some harlequin rasaboras. [emoji2]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It’ll be my mud turtle’s new, bigger home! Her 20 gal long is getting a bit cramped for her.
I plan to have some fish in with her: a school of Cory cats, maybe some danios and some harlequin rasaboras. [emoji2]
Hey @Moozillion I noticed in your other thread for Jacques you said you didn't have much luck with live plants? You should try Hornwort. It grows like crazy and it can be planted or float. You can find people selling it on eBay for a few bucks. I bought a cup of it for my fish tank and after a few weeks I was throwing away about a shopping bag full every week. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• lg_Hornwort_Dozen_11285.jpg
    lg_Hornwort_Dozen_11285.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 17

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hey @Moozillion I noticed in your other thread for Jacques you said you didn't have much luck with live plants? You should try Hornwort. It grows like crazy and it can be planted or float. You can find people selling it on eBay for a few bucks. I bought a cup of it for my fish tank and after a few weeks I was throwing away about a shopping bag full every week. This is what it looks like.

Cool!!!!! I’ve been hoping to find something easy and “fool proof”!!!
Thanks, Toddrick!! [emoji2][emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ok, new question. I got a Fluval 206 canister filter for the 40 gal tank. The intake goes low enough to reach the lower water level that my mud turtle will need, but the OUTFLOW is way too short. If I attach it as it to the tank rim, it'll SHOOT a jet of return water across the tank, ABOVE the water level, which A) is ridiculous, B) will drive me nuts, C) will probably not be well received by the tank inhabitants. :confused:

I can pull that little outflow spout off, and figured I could just attach some tubing to make it longer so that the water will be ejected into the bottom of the tank. But NEITHER of the pet stores in our area (PetSmart and PetCo) has ANY tubing of any sort.

Should I use a piece of PVC pipe? Do I try and order some tubing from an aquarium supply place?
Any suggestions will be welcome!!!

IMG_0051.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fix any tubing you can find that works as long as it it human/animal safe.
New Tanks should always be cleaned with water and inside wiped down before being filled and checked for leaks before adding anything else. Most likely it won't leak but it's a pain if it does and you have all kinds of stuff in it. They should also always be wiped out. You never know who may have used what too clean out any dirt or dust while it has been through shipping and on display. Unless it's in a completely closed box where dust and dirt can't get in it.
I work for an aquarium store. You wouldn't believe some of the dumb things people do around an aquarium not even thinking that some day a fish needs to live in it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Moozillion I know what your saying, my outflow was making my tank a RAGING river! What I did was take a knife and make the holes in the spray bar bigger so there wasn't as much pressure spraying out. Does the fluval have a spray bar? In any case you can use tubing to lower the outflow, you can surely find it on Amazon I think. Or maybe even a piece of cut garden hose? I think a piece of pvc would work fine too, just be sure to wash it thoroughly.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Moozillion I know what your saying, my outflow was making my tank a RAGING river! What I did was take a knife and make the holes in the spray bar bigger so there wasn't as much pressure spraying out. Does the fluval have a spray bar? In any case you can use tubing to lower the outflow, you can surely find it on Amazon I think. Or maybe even a piece of cut garden hose? I think a piece of pvc would work fine too, just be sure to wash it thoroughly.
Thanks, Toddrick!
It did not come with a spray bar. I'll look on Amazon and see what I can find. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks, Toddrick!
It did not come with a spray bar. I'll look on Amazon and see what I can find. :)
It's too bad you don't live near Atlanta, I got tons of tubing and fish tank supplies. You ever take a vacay here you could come grab what ya want! ;)