1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Arcadia Lighting Site Down - Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Lighting' started by CylonSurfer, Feb 1, 2018.

1. CylonSurfer

CylonSurfer New Member

Just purchased a :
    Arcadia Euro Range 10% D3+ Desert Reptile Light, 1050mmh
    I've looked all over the packaging but can't find any info on how far from my tort I should be mounting it. The Arcadia site is currently under going maintenance and its lighting section is offline so I can't find any info there and any links I find to the documentation for both the tubes and light controllers no longer work.

So can anyone offer any advice on how far away from the tortoise I should be mounting this tube? I should add that I'll be using it in combination with a reflector.

Thanks all.
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    What kind of tortoise and how old? I don't use that kind, but @Tom may be able to help.
  3. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

That is a T8 42 fluorescent tube. I only use T5 tubes now as they are much more efficient and last longer for future reference.

The only way to know for sure is to have a solarmeter 6.5 and check the application in your individual setup. With the Arcadia rebranding and new website we can't see Arcadia's recommendation. However, the Zoomed T8 10.0 would need to be about 16" with a reflective hood. But remember - that is just a guess based on other applications. You really should check yours with a solarmeter.

The type of tortoise makes a difference as well. Please include that with questions. I see from other posts you have a Marginated?? It that is what you are using this for, the above would be pretty close for a guess.
    Tom likes this.
  4. CylonSurfer

CylonSurfer New Member

Thanks,

Yes, it will be for a Marginated who is about 3.5 years old - sorry for not including that. I certainly take your point about a Solarmeter 6.5 - it's on the list of 'to buys' but shelling out for the new enclosures build materials has wiped me out for the next month or so. I fully appreciate that such information is only an estimation - thanks for your help, it will at least give me a good starting point.

It's a real pita that the Arcadia site is in the middle of rebranding! I've looked all over the tubes box but all I can find is a yellow / red type graph with no information as to how to interpret the data and I'm not even sure that it provides the date I require at all!