Muffin_Angel

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I just moved my Greek Ibera from a table into a 4 x 2 x 2 vivarium.
The issue I am having is the height of the vivarium in comparison to the bulb I am using.
The bulb is an Arcadia Euro Range 10-Percent D3+.

At the moment, it hangs down at the side, not in the middle as would be preferable, since I know that the 2ft height would be far too high to be effective.
Currently, I can afford to replace the bulb, but not buy her another whole fixture (Like a T5 for example).
I was going to buy a reflector for the bulb, but I am unsure how much of a difference this will actually make for the distance of the bulb.
Some advice on how I can deal with this issue would be appreciated, though I'm sure having it hang down, at the correct height is not doing her any harm :)

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just moved my Greek Ibera from a table into a 4 x 2 x 2 vivarium.
The issue I am having is the height of the vivarium in comparison to the bulb I am using.
The bulb is an Arcadia Euro Range 10-Percent D3+.

At the moment, it hangs down at the side, not in the middle as would be preferable, since I know that the 2ft height would be far too high to be effective.
Currently, I can afford to replace the bulb, but not buy her another whole fixture (Like a T5 for example).
I was going to buy a reflector for the bulb, but I am unsure how much of a difference this will actually make for the distance of the bulb.
Some advice on how I can deal with this issue would be appreciated, though I'm sure having it hang down, at the correct height is not doing her any harm :)

Thank you!
I'm no lighting guru by any means. But I do own a UVB meter and I have done some testing.
A T8 fixture and tube puts out very little UVB past 10 inches. And virtually none if it has to be broadcast through a screen top.
They can be useful in enclosures that are very short. And ive used them previously with my Redfoot. But they are low UVB tolerant.
I'm only guessing if a T8 would be acceptable without your application without a meter being used.
Can you supplement that UVB with actual outdoors sunshine? That'd be great.
With enough real sunlight you could all but eliminate the need for other UVB sources

Last edited:

Muffin_Angel

Scotland
I'm no lighting guru by any means. But I do own a UVB meter and I have done some testing.
A T8 fixture and tube puts out very little UVB past 10 inches. And virtually none if it has to be broadcast through a screen top.
They can be useful in enclosures that are very short. And ive used them previously with my Redfoot. But they are low UVB tolerant.
I'm only guessing if a T8 would be acceptable without your application without a meter being used.
Can you supplement that UVB with actual outdoors sunshine? That'd be great.
With enough real sunlight you could all but eliminate the need for other UVB sources
Unfortunately, I live in the UK and though we have hot days here and there, they are few and far between. She's only tiny as well, still fitting into the palm of my hand.