Are mosquitos a problem?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I just came home to mosquitos swarming Curtis, which is weird because you’d think they would stay away from reptiles. I didn’t see any on him, though.

Is this a problem, and if so, how do I stop it? The only standing water in there is his water bowl, and I’m assuming I can’t just take that out.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Time to break out with the citronella! lol

But seriously, they will bite tortoises and turtles alike, but prefer warm blood from mammals. Got a bunch of standing water near it?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Time to break out with the citronella! lol

But seriously, they will bite tortoises and turtles alike, but prefer warm blood from mammals. Got a bunch of standing water near it?

There’s some part of our septic system that seems to be filled with mosquitos, but I have no idea what exactly it is, or what I would do about it. It’s just a giant concrete circle in the middle of our yard.

The only other standing water is his water bowl, and it gets refilled often.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
There’s some part of our septic system that seems to be filled with mosquitos, but I have no idea what exactly it is, or what I would do about it. It’s just a giant concrete circle in the middle of our yard.

The only other standing water is his water bowl, and it gets refilled often.
I go to Lewisville once or twice a year on business. I know how hot and humid it can get down there. I recall getting eaten alive at a cookout I attended. I remembered to pack plenty calamine lotion on subsequent trips in the summer. lol. They are horrible here in Cincinnati this year too with all the rain we've received this summer. August is usually our drought season. Not this year! My grass has never been greener.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I go to Lewisville once or twice a year on business. I know how hot and humid it can get down there. I recall getting eaten alive at a cookout I attended. I remembered to pack plenty calamine lotion on subsequent trips in the summer. lol. They are horrible here in Cincinnati this year too with all the rain we've received this summer. August is usually our drought season. Not this year! My grass has never been greener.

Yeah, and the septic system in the middle of my yard doesn’t help, lmao