Are name-brand UVB fixtures worth it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
The LED lights are now cheaper and very efficient and some plate branded as full spectrum. Has anyone tested the UVB on these?

I have not broken down and purchased the $300 solarimeter but considering it?

I think they're using "full spectrum" to mean it has the full (or fuller) spectrum in the white light vs older LEDs that omitted portions of the spectrum.

If an LED says its UV, it's either UVA (usually blacklight or for drying paint), or UVC for disinfecting. I'm not aware of a light assembly ("bulb") available that incorporates UVB LEDs. Individual UVB LEDs are available as parts but are expensive.

Zoeclare

Uk
I think they're using "full spectrum" to mean it has the full (or fuller) spectrum in the white light vs older LEDs that omitted portions of the spectrum.

If an LED says its UV, it's either UVA (usually blacklight or for drying paint), or UVC for disinfecting. I'm not aware of a light assembly ("bulb") available that incorporates UVB LEDs. Individual UVB LEDs are available as parts but are expensive.
That makes sense I thought full spectrum just meant they had a "nicer" colour! I learn so much through this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The LED lights are now cheaper and very efficient and some plate branded as full spectrum. Has anyone tested the UVB on these?

I have not broken down and purchased the $300 solarimeter but considering it?
I think we should take advantage of Mark's meter - buy a bulb and send it to Mark. He tests the UVB output and puts up the info for us to see. Likewise, when we wonder if our existing bulb is still putting out UVB we send it to Mark to test. Any takers?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You can sometimes find new solar meters on sale for under $200 on amazon and ebay. I think it's a worth while investment for people that rely on uv(B) bulbs and don't have the time to regularly take their tortoises outside for sun.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I think we should take advantage of Mark's meter - buy a bulb and send it to Mark. He tests the UVB output and puts up the info for us to see. Likewise, when we wonder if our existing bulb is still putting out UVB we send it to Mark to test. Any takers?

Was this offer always available or did you just come up with it now? Would have been a nice option to have years ago before I caved in and bought one. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Was this offer always available or did you just come up with it now? Would have been a nice option to have years ago before I caved in and bought one. :(
It was tongue in cheek. Some (probably most) of us scrimp just to buy food for the tortoises.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
It was tongue in cheek. Some (probably most) of us scrimp just to buy food for the tortoises.

You're preaching to the choir on that one. I'm the weird guy in my neighborhood that offers to pick up weeds from my neighbor's lawns from time to time.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I got lucky and got my T5 grow light fixture from the Restore for $25 years ago. I was able to save and by my own Solarmeter