Store-bought UVB Fixtures?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Has anyone found hardware store-bought T5 HO fixtures, with reflectors, to be inadequate? I plan to use the fixture with a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 strip bulb, 34", same as I use for my beardie.

I do not have a Solarmeter so would hate to think my tortoise was not getting quality UVB.

I have another question if anyone knows. Does the strip light need to stretch the entire length of the enclosure, which is 4 foot, to ensure adequate exposure to UVB? Or do you think that that is overkill?

I plan to have the fixture hanging, inside the encosure, suspended from the pvc frame of the lid.

Thanks if anyone has any insight or opinions.

baldegale

Has anyone found hardware store-bought T5 HO fixtures, with reflectors, to be inadequate? I plan to use the fixture with a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 strip bulb, 34", same as I use for my beardie.

I do not have a Solarmeter so would hate to think my tortoise was not getting quality UVB.

I have another question if anyone knows. Does the strip light need to stretch the entire length of the enclosure, which is 4 foot, to ensure adequate exposure to UVB? Or do you think that that is overkill?

I plan to have the fixture hanging, inside the encosure, suspended from the pvc frame of the lid.

Thanks if anyone has any insight or opinions.

the only question that i can answer is it should cover 75% of the enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
the only question that i can answer is it should cover 75% of the enclosure
I never heard it had to cover 75% of the enclosure. The mvb bulbs sure don't. I would just make sure it covers an area that the tort will be in a lot. Like over the food dish area. If it were a mvb then I wouldn't put it over the food but off to the side of it.