New setup- is this ok?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I used to use that clamp light for years...but your strip light is for UVB and the incandescent bulb for basking heat...I would omit the incandescent bulb in favor of a CHE on a thermostat
but I am not an expert.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
I used to use that clamp light for years...but your strip light is for UVB and the incandescent bulb for basking heat...I would omit the incandescent bulb in favor of a CHE on a thermostat
but I am not an expert.
Isn’t the T5 HO a uvb bulb? Or am I misunderstanding

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
but I am not an expert.
I would stick with the bulb. Most do not go to heat but will go too the light.
A che though for any needed night heat is recommended.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Isn’t the T5 HO a uvb bulb? Or am I misunderstanding
Yes it is a uvb bulb. That one is fine. The basking bulb you plan on is fine. Heat for night time use a che in the same kind of fixture you show from lowes but get the ones with a ceramic socket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look where the cord meets the dome. The white ceramic socket. Might be called porcelain which is fine too.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Look where the cord meets the dome. The white ceramic socket. Might be called porcelain which is fine too.
Perfect thank you!! I see Lowe’s has one too and they specifically state that it is a porcelain ceramic socket. I guess when it’s plastic they just don’t mention anything. I really appreciate your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not clamp the light onto anything. They have been known to fail. However I do attach the clamp to the light and then use that clamp to run rope thru to hang the light.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Do not clamp the light onto anything. They have been known to fail. However I do attach the clamp to the light and then use that clamp to run rope thru to hang the light.
Hmm, I won’t be able to hang anything. Is there a standing lamp that could be used and pointed down then?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the enclosure and we can come up with ideas of how to use it.
I have even run two boards next to each other so the dome sat on them. I have also ran a board thru the gap on the clamp. I always do something, like tie a rope or use a bungee cord in a way that would prevent the light ever falling, a added safety.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Post a pic of the enclosure and we can come up with ideas of how to use it.
I have even run two boards next to each other so the dome sat on them. I have also ran a board thru the gap on the clamp. I always do something, like tie a rope or use a bungee cord in a way that would prevent the light ever falling, a added safety.
I don’t have the enclosure set up yet. I am just preparing for getting one in a few weeks. I have several heavy duty Craftsman spring clamps I could use to attach for added safety. Do you think that would work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there, can anyone advise if there is anything wrong with using these two lights for a new Hermanns setup?

This fixture to use with a regular T5 HO 22in (24 watt) bulb

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/36313-t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip--24

This fixture to use with regular 65 watt incandescent flood bulb

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProTorch-1-Watt-Incandescent-Clamped-Work-Light/1002622730

Thank you!!
The first link is for a fixture only. You will still need an actual UV bulb.

What they said about the other fixture... Ceramic base, and hang it from over head. You will need to make an over head rack with PVC pipe or 2x4s or something similar to hang your light from. You need to do this so that you can adjust the height of your fixtures to get the correct basking temperature, and get the correct UV levels from your UV bulb. If you don't know how to do this sort of thing, ask for help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t have the enclosure set up yet. I am just preparing for getting one in a few weeks. I have several heavy duty Craftsman spring clamps I could use to attach for added safety. Do you think that would work?
No. Clamps always fail, and the consequence could be your whole house burning down. Hang it from over head. Its very easy. There are many ways to do it. ZooMed even makes a metal based stand just for this purpose.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
The first link is for a fixture only. You will still need an actual UV bulb.

What they said about the other fixture... Ceramic base, and hang it from over head. You will need to make an over head rack with PVC pipe or 2x4s or something similar to hang your light from. You need to do this so that you can adjust the height of your fixtures to get the correct basking temperature, and get the correct UV levels from your UV bulb. If you don't know how to do this sort of thing, ask for help.
Thank you for this. I will get the uvb bulb separately but will I not be able to attach the uvb fixture to the inside of the tank with the included hanging device? From what I’m understanding it has to be directly overhead is that right?

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
No. Clamps always fail, and the consequence could be your whole house burning down. Hang it from over head. Its very easy. There are many ways to do it. ZooMed even makes a metal based stand just for this purpose.
Thank you for the link! I like that stand it it will work perfectly for my setup.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a few extra bucks to spend, you can buy a couple of these for the lights: