UVB difficultly

JLMDVM

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi guys,
I’ve had my hatchlings about a week and a half and I’m having trouble with my UVB bulbs or fixture. I am using the 10.0 T8 strip Reptisun bulb and it’s matching brand hood. One fixture I have is not working already. I have emails in to where I purchased it and ZooMed both. Meanwhile, I need to do something while I try to get that straightened out.

The rest of the setup is a closed chamber plastic tote, 75 watt incandescent flood bulb for heat, coco coir about 3 inches with a couple inches of cypress mulch on top. Temps and humidity have been holding well.

The only thing I can find locally is the HO 5 fixture and bulbs as a complete set. Is this safe to use for my Western Hermann’s hatchling in the enclosure with the messed up fixture? I have read of some people using them on here, but not sure if it would be safe in my case.

Thanks!

ryvanzandt

Canal Winchester, Ohio
JLMDVM

Think you should be fine. I have one on my Russian about 15" from substrate. I'm new, but have been reading everything and anything I can. The T5 is just a better and more efficient bulb. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys,
I’ve had my hatchlings about a week and a half and I’m having trouble with my UVB bulbs or fixture. I am using the 10.0 T8 strip Reptisun bulb and it’s matching brand hood. One fixture I have is not working already. I have emails in to where I purchased it and ZooMed both. Meanwhile, I need to do something while I try to get that straightened out.

The rest of the setup is a closed chamber plastic tote, 75 watt incandescent flood bulb for heat, coco coir about 3 inches with a couple inches of cypress mulch on top. Temps and humidity have been holding well.

The only thing I can find locally is the HO 5 fixture and bulbs as a complete set. Is this safe to use for my Western Hermann’s hatchling in the enclosure with the messed up fixture? I have read of some people using them on here, but not sure if it would be safe in my case.

Thanks!
Which HO fixture and bulb? The ZooMed 10.0 HO tubes can be used from about16-18 inches away. The Arcadia 12% HO tubes produce stronger UV and need to be mounted farther away. More like 20-24" for those, but only a UV meter can really tell you for sure. Here is the meter to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

JLMDVM

Ohio
Which HO fixture and bulb? The ZooMed 10.0 HO tubes can be used from about16-18 inches away. The Arcadia 12% HO tubes produce stronger UV and need to be mounted farther away. More like 20-24" for those, but only a UV meter can really tell you for sure. Here is the meter to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Yes, I have a meter. I guess maybe I could have worded it better. I’m set up for the 10.0 Zoomed T8 24 inch tube bulb with zoomed hood.
I think that you probably have the heart of my question- will I need to adjust height a lot if I switch to make it the correct strength, and can I make it safe for hatchlings. I’ve read how detrimental the cfl’s can be and don’t want to inadvertently injure the baby.
Sounds like safe if I adjust the height and make sure the reading is not too high.
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.