Uvb flourescent height

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
I got an 18 inch flourescent fixture and took off the plastic covering and installed a reptisun 10.0 uvb t8 bulb for my baby sulcata. The flourescent fixture is resting on a metal grate like chicken wire (not screen). It is about 7 inches above the basking area. He isnt staying in the light... hes hanging out in his hide or shaded area. Temp is 85. Im wondering why he is hiding from the uvb?

xMario

Germany
I got an 18 inch flourescent fixture and took off the plastic covering and installed a reptisun 10.0 uvb t8 bulb for my baby sulcata. The flourescent fixture is resting on a metal grate like chicken wire (not screen). It is about 7 inches above the basking area. He isnt staying in the light... hes hanging out in his hide or shaded area. Temp is 85. Im wondering why he is hiding from the uvb?
Maybe it puts out too much uvb?
Different bulbs/tubes even from the same company can produce different levels of uvb from the same distance the only way to see if ur t8 is putting out the right amount u want Is to use a solarmeter 6.5

But young tortoise also like to hide so it's not uncommon for them to stay hidden

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My meter gives me a reading of 1.1 out of the bulb at 10". That is a pretty low amount of UV. I bet it is fine at 7 inches. That would be much too close for a bulb with higher UV output, like an HO type.

Lots of reasons why he might be hiding. Babies tend to stick to the shadows if they want to survive in the wild. Sitting out in the open in bright light is a good way to get eaten.