Are sulcata illegal

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
Are sulcatas illegal or outlawed in New Jersey up until about 10mins ago, I didn’t know there were any laws regarding them but I saw a post saying no New Jersey sales. I was like what the heck who knew. so I guess my question is can you have a sulcata in New Jersey, or was this just a bad Copy paste mistake?

Note: this entire add is bull **** and I highly suggest not buying from this seller and there is nothing special about this tortoise it’s just a rip off.

Attachments

• 3ACDEA6A-2DEF-4FAB-A30E-C4DBAB8EEDD0.jpeg
    3ACDEA6A-2DEF-4FAB-A30E-C4DBAB8EEDD0.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
New Jersey has some pretty strict turtle/tortoise laws. I'm not sure, but I THINK they pertain more to sales than ownership.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
New Jersey has some pretty strict turtle/tortoise laws. I'm not sure, but I THINK they pertain more to sales than ownership.

Yes, the laws are mostly about sales. And from what I'm seeing, they're effectively banned from being sold.

I think you need a permit to keep them in New Jersey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are sulcatas illegal or outlawed in New Jersey up until about 10mins ago, I didn’t know there were any laws regarding them but I saw a post saying no New Jersey sales. I was like what the heck who knew. so I guess my question is can you have a sulcata in New Jersey, or was this just a bad Copy paste mistake?

Note: this entire add is bull **** and I highly suggest not buying from this seller and there is nothing special about this tortoise it’s just a rip off.
Maybe that seller doesn't like people in NJ? I've never heard of them being illegal anywhere.

Someone should let them know that this is NOT a desert species, or a "dessert" species for that matter, and they do NOT occur in the Sahara desert.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Maybe that seller doesn't like people in NJ? I've never heard of them being illegal anywhere.

Someone should let them know that this is NOT a desert species, or a "dessert" species for that matter, and they do NOT occur in the Sahara desert.
Haha that guy is a large reseller in the industry also says they get 75-100lbs haha I’ve seen Some that are over 200lbs but what can you do about some people

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha that guy is a large reseller in the industry also says they get 75-100lbs haha I’ve seen Some that are over 200lbs but what can you do about some people
Normal males usually top out around 120-130. Sudan males usually reach 250, and I've seen a few that were over 300. Females of both are usually 60-80 pounds. But yeah... Doesn't seem that hard to put out accurate info. He should really do better.

CharlieRose

CA
This is our rescue tortoise, “Baby”. June 2022 our 1st day and end of September 2022, daily soak as we learned here. We were told he was about a year old when we took him.

Attachments

• A0CFE4F5-0878-42E2-9B88-7B4A56BB0FAB.jpeg
    A0CFE4F5-0878-42E2-9B88-7B4A56BB0FAB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • C3DAAD35-14C8-430F-9348-4C1744BA6112.jpeg
    C3DAAD35-14C8-430F-9348-4C1744BA6112.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Please read the above, which could be of help.

sandrarz

Casa Grande Az

For any state you can go to the department of natural resources to see if they are illegal to own.
That is where you would get the best information. I do not know if it lists sales cause I always look for ownership.

sandrarz

Casa Grande Az
Normal males usually top out around 120-130. Sudan males usually reach 250, and I've seen a few that were over 300. Females of both are usually 60-80 pounds. But yeah... Doesn't seem that hard to put out accurate info. He should really do better.
I wonder what is special in Sudan? Super dooper extra vitamins and minerals in those grasses!!? Lol