Are the ESA letters from pettable the real deal?

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My friend's HOA recently decided to really amp up the limitation on pets. There are apparently 5 ladies out there that don't really care about dogs. Anyways, long story short, she never thought of getting an ESA letter for her dog before because she owns the property, works from home, and the HOA had very reasonable and lax rules and regulations on pets before. Her insurance apparently doesn't offer ESA letters starting this year and she's been looking online.
How legit is the pettable site? She asked me but idk anything about it. Anyone has any experience? Are there any alternatives?

The new addenedum gave those 5 ladies immensive powers that are larger than the state apparently. They somehow put in that if they five judge a dog to be annoying and obnoxious, they can remove it from the gated community, and they can even enter properties owned by other owners??? Insane if you ask me. Feel like the 2nd amendment is looking real good.

Isn't there a gramdfather clause against this type of addendums? That judge and remove tho... Brutal

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would hope they could be grandfathered in, pets are family. I hope someone can help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My friend's HOA recently decided to really amp up the limitation on pets. There are apparently 5 ladies out there that don't really care about dogs. Anyways, long story short, she never thought of getting an ESA letter for her dog before because she owns the property, works from home, and the HOA had very reasonable and lax rules and regulations on pets before. Her insurance apparently doesn't offer ESA letters starting this year and she's been looking online.
How legit is the pettable site? She asked me but idk anything about it. Anyone has any experience? Are there any alternatives?

The new addenedum gave those 5 ladies immensive powers that are larger than the state apparently. They somehow put in that if they five judge a dog to be annoying and obnoxious, they can remove it from the gated community, and they can even enter properties owned by other owners??? Insane if you ask me. Feel like the 2nd amendment is looking real good.

Isn't there a gramdfather clause against this type of addendums? That judge and remove tho... Brutal
And this is why you never buy property that comes with an HOA...

Your friend needs to re-read the contract she signed and see specifically if it allows these 5 ladies to do whatever they want or not. She might want to seek some legal council.

ESAs have no rights and come with no special privileges in public. This would gain your friend nothing. Further, there is no certification or license of any kind given that makes an animal an ESA animal. If you say it is, then it is. Notes from doctors or counselors of any type are an attempt to add legitimacy, and sometimes it works, if the person reading the note doesn't know any better, or just chooses to believe it.

Service animals are a different story and their use has legal protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The ADA is written vaguely and with very accommodating standards so that people who genuinely need a service animal can have it and get around with minimal hassle. The vagueness and accommodating standards make it very easy for unscrupulous people who don't really need a service animal to abuse these rights/priveleges too. Read the text of the ADA as it pertains to service animals, and also the "laymen's explanation" that they offer. Most anyone and most any animal can legally qualify, without bending or breaking any rules or laws, and its written that way intentionally. There is a list of potential ailments that would qualify a person to have a service animal, and almost everyone will have one ore more of these ailments. Its all about knowing the rules and knowing what to say and what NOT to say when questioned.

Just like the ESA animals, there is no certification or license of any kind that makes an animal a "service" animal. If you say it is, then it is. Notes from doctors or counselors of any type are an attempt to add legitimacy, and sometimes it works for this too.

Read the ADA section on service animals. You will see what I mean. I'm happy to explain this on a phone call if it is not clear. Message me if you want to talk. I am a professional dog trainer and have trained, and participated in training, several true service dogs. I also know people who work for service dog training facilities like Guide Dogs, etc...

These 5 ladies are WAYYYYY out of line, but your friend also has a responsibility to train her dog to NOT be a nuisance or bother to her neighbors, which I suspect is the reason she is under attack from the Witches of Eastwick. I love dogs. I love dogs being a part of our society, and I'm happy to help work out a solution to this problem.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I will stay out of this but will suggest to Rynan that if you sic Tom on them, those poor ladies will likely wish they had never joined the Board!

jus sayin.....some folks just know how to succeed and I've made an entire career honing my ability to spot them....

Rynan

Southern California
And this is why you never buy property that comes with an HOA...

Your friend needs to re-read the contract she signed and see specifically if it allows these 5 ladies to do whatever they want or not. She might want to seek some legal council.

ESAs have no rights and come with no special privileges in public. This would gain your friend nothing. Further, there is no certification or license of any kind given that makes an animal an ESA animal. If you say it is, then it is. Notes from doctors or counselors of any type are an attempt to add legitimacy, and sometimes it works, if the person reading the note doesn't know any better, or just chooses to believe it.

Service animals are a different story and their use has legal protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The ADA is written vaguely and with very accommodating standards so that people who genuinely need a service animal can have it and get around with minimal hassle. The vagueness and accommodating standards make it very easy for unscrupulous people who don't really need a service animal to abuse these rights/priveleges too. Read the text of the ADA as it pertains to service animals, and also the "laymen's explanation" that they offer. Most anyone and most any animal can legally qualify, without bending or breaking any rules or laws, and its written that way intentionally. There is a list of potential ailments that would qualify a person to have a service animal, and almost everyone will have one ore more of these ailments. Its all about knowing the rules and knowing what to say and what NOT to say when questioned.

Just like the ESA animals, there is no certification or license of any kind that makes an animal a "service" animal. If you say it is, then it is. Notes from doctors or counselors of any type are an attempt to add legitimacy, and sometimes it works for this too.

Read the ADA section on service animals. You will see what I mean. I'm happy to explain this on a phone call if it is not clear. Message me if you want to talk. I am a professional dog trainer and have trained, and participated in training, several true service dogs. I also know people who work for service dog training facilities like Guide Dogs, etc...

These 5 ladies are WAYYYYY out of line, but your friend also has a responsibility to train her dog to NOT be a nuisance or bother to her neighbors, which I suspect is the reason she is under attack from the Witches of Eastwick. I love dogs. I love dogs being a part of our society, and I'm happy to help work out a solution to this problem.
No, it is not specifically targeted at her. It is targeted toward few of her neighbors who left their dog out unsupervised. But this addendum will ultimately give them the power to target anyone of their choosing which is ridiculous. The funny thing is her therapist offered to write her a letter before but she declined it stating there's no need. Her depression is managed by meds and working from home and spending all the time she can with her dog. It's just infuriating knowing those ladies are trying to bend the community to their liking. Apparently the memebers don't even get to vote, they only have the ability to review and comment on changes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, it is not specifically targeted at her. It is targeted toward few of her neighbors who left their dog out unsupervised. But this addendum will ultimately give them the power to target anyone of their choosing which is ridiculous. The funny thing is her therapist offered to write her a letter before but she declined it stating there's no need. Her depression is managed by meds and working from home and spending all the time she can with her dog. It's just infuriating knowing those ladies are trying to bend the community to their liking. Apparently the memebers don't even get to vote, they only have the ability to review and comment on changes.
Reflective of the sad state our country is in. No due process, and true fascists point their finger at their political opposition and call them "fascists". I don't think most of them know what the word means...

Given just the quoted info, your friend qualifies for a true service animal, and the HOA can't touch her dog. Any decent lawyer will eat that HOA for lunch for ADA violations.

Rynan

Southern California
Yeah, but it seems like the board memebers are retired older ladies with a lot of free time amd a newly proposed fine system, refusal to pay any fines could also result a lien on the property. I'm at a loss of words upon hearing it. They could hire an HOA attorney with everyone's money. But she has to pay out of her own pocket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would consult an attorney. There is no way those old B's can just go on someone's property and take anything. They would have a big problem if they tried that with me. They wouldn't see the light of day.
As Tom said, never live in an HOA. I don't understand why anyone ever would. I'd live in a tent in a field first.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I would consult an attorney. There is no way those old B's can just go on someone's property and take anything. They would have a big problem if they tried that with me. They wouldn't see the light of day.
As Tom said, never live in an HOA. I don't understand why anyone ever would. I'd live in a tent in a field first.
I have never heard of any good practices regarding a HOA. My in-laws live in a 55+ community. They are required to have a large percentage of their property lawn. Then, when there is a lack of rain, they aren’t allowed to water it. I could design them an amazing yard using native grasses, drought tolerant perennials and xeriscaping, but they aren’t allowed to. I could cut their yard water usage considerably and make it more sustainable. It makes absolutely no sense…

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
It is targeted toward few of her neighbors who left their dog out unsupervised.
it's always the irresponsible that lead to laws that punish the responsible ........

i've read that federal fair housing laws recognizes esa ........ there also may be state laws ...... i'd talk to a lawyer

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
On thing which MAY help, and I only say this as a former HOA president (because %#$%@ if I was going to allow my biggest investment to be in the hands of the numbnuts who owned the other 11 units in my building - I also sold my townhouse to get out of being in bed with said numbnuts, but also caveat this was CA which has different laws from other states) is that one thing you CAN point out is - yes your friend has to pay out of pocket and they can use HOA funds to hire their attorney, but the MOMENT there is a lawsuit or threat of one, than NO ONE is going to be able to sell their property without informing potential buyers there is a lawsuit or threat of one against the HOA (again in CA) and nothing will make your property value drop faster than being unable to sell because of a lawsuit against the HOA which can drag on forever. So as much as these ladies have too much time on their hands, they MAY be savvy enough to recognize they'd be hurting everyone's property values if they did it. Not saying they would care, but it might be something...