Are these dandelions?

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
Hi, I found some kind of flower cut (I will regrow them indoors), I’m wondering if these are dandelions so I can feed them to my RF, if they’re not what type of flower/weed are they? Are they edible for Rf’s? (2 of a flower with white flower buds and 2 of a smaller cut but it has yellow flower buds instead, there are also little sprouts)
Thank you!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My eyes are not too great, but in the last picture, that's not a dandelion, it looks like it has kinda fuzzy leafs...if so, it's not what you want...of those, my torts will eat the yellow flowers but not those fuzzy leafs...

Mexico City
My eyes are not too great, but in the last picture, that's not a dandelion, it looks like it has kinda fuzzy leafs...if so, it's not what you want...of those, my torts will eat the yellow flowers but not those fuzzy leafs...

thank you! I’ll only feed him the flowers once they bloom then

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
None of these are dandelions.

It’s hard to tell what they are from these photos, everything is mingled in with grass or the shots are too close up.

Can you pull the plants out of the ground, root and all, and take a couple of photos of them on your kitchen counter? Put a quarter (peso?) next to them so we can get a sense of the plants size.

The one with the yellow flowers puts me in mind of something in the brassica family (should be safe) but the leaves aren’t clear.

Once we figure out what they are, they’ll grow a lot better in your yard than in your house. They’re clearly doing well there already. :)

Mexico City
None of these are dandelions.

It’s hard to tell what they are from these photos, everything is mingled in with grass or the shots are too close up.

Can you pull the plants out of the ground, root and all, and take a couple of photos of them on your kitchen counter? Put a quarter (peso?) next to them so we can get a sense of the plants size.

The one with the yellow flowers puts me in mind of something in the brassica family (should be safe) but the leaves aren’t clear.

Once we figure out what they are, they’ll grow a lot better in your yard than in your house. They’re clearly doing well there already. :)

Sure, here are the pictures (not really sure if pictures are that great), I took the one that was cut already so I can regrow the roots then put it back outside, the tallest flower stem is 13 cm tall and the bottom is 10cm long across

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Mexico City
I’m pretty confident these are not dandelions. At least not the standard dandelion we have here in Maryland.

Maybe something like Shepherd’s Purse.

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/shepherds-purse

It really does look closely alike, it actually looks like the same type of flower/weed in my pictures! I noticed by the leaves near where the flowers are they’re very similar, thank you!

Salisbury
Hi, I found some kind of flower cut (I will regrow them indoors), I’m wondering if these are dandelions so I can feed them to my RF, if they’re not what type of flower/weed are they? Are they edible for Rf’s? (2 of a flower with white flower buds and 2 of a smaller cut but it has yellow flower buds instead, there are also little sprouts)
Thank you!
Those don’t look like like dandylions to me! Mabey research what they are and find out if they are safe for tortoises. One of them (yellow flowers) could have been ragwort but the pictures weren’t to great!

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Those don’t look like like dandylions to me! Mabey research what they are and find out if they are safe for tortoises. One of them (yellow flowers) could have been ragwort but the pictures weren’t to great!
The one in the first picture is a type of dandilion that grows here in the low desert. I have some in my yard that my sulcatas love. I don't know about the other plants, other than they don't look like dandilions to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The very last picture in the first post looks like sticky willie.