Are these even box turtles? Can they be in the same indoor enclosure!

OpalsMom17

Location (City and/or State)
Norman, Ok
Hi there, I’m new here, but I’ve had my friends Herman and Raymond for a few years now! That being said, I’m starting to think I’ve done everything wrong, and I am ready to spoil these two!
But first, I need someone to tell their exact species. Then second, can they share an enclosure, or is their size difference too much? Hermance is about 2 and 1/4 inches just shell, and Raymond sits at about five just shell, I am setting up an outdoor play area for them, but since I live in Oklahoma it’s best to have them in indoor enclosures. I have 58 (wide) gallon and 20 gallon tanks so I can keep them separate if I need to, and the glass will be covered on 3/4 of the tanks sides And then next I would love to talk water Space and feeding area, and finally plants!!! Hellpp

598280BA-5DEB-43D6-94B3-C71E8223361B.jpeg 99A27501-C86E-4A9E-8E9C-8964611C2FD2.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, welcome to the Forum. @ColleenT and @Yvonne G and others with Boxies can 100% ID for you, but they sure do look like Box Turtles you have.

There’s lots of info here on the Forum regarding boxie care and feeding and enclosures. It’s usually better to keep them separate - https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/american-box-turtles.98/

Good luck with your turtles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eventually they can share space, but I'd wait a year or two for the 2" guy to catch up with the bigger one. They can sometimes be cannibalistic and the little one wouldn't stand a chance with the bigger one.

Oh, and, yes, they are box turtles. Without seeing more of them, their limbs, head, etc. I can't say which species, but def. box.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They look to be 3 toed box turtles. I'd wait for the smaller one to grow a bit before housing them together.