Artificial plants?

Ellen & Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire, UK
Whenever I put any live plants in with Alex my YBS she eats them within a couple of days so her tank always looks very bare with just pebbles and rocks. I want to add some greenery to give her a bit more privacy but i'm worried that she would try to eat artificial plants if I put them in... What does everyone think, do I keep sacrificing water hyacinth, water lettuce and elodea or should I try some artificial plants? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I keep artificial plants in with both my painted turtles and musk turtles. I've seen them try to nibble every once in a while, but mostly just hang out to sit at the surface. I'd keep putting in live plants every now and again for a snack, but keep artificial for privacy.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have artificial plastic plants in my sliders tank they don't bother them. They might try to bite them once or twice at first but once they figure out their not food they won't bother with them

Coco517

Florida
My musk turtle, Pokey, lived with plastic plants for about a year and left them alone. Then, for some reason, he decided they tasted good and bit them off their stands and tried relentlessly to eat them. I had to take the pieces out and worry about impaction for a little while. I’d check the plants often to make sure chunks aren’t missing :)

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Ok so after a couple of months thought i'd best report back... so far artificial plants have been a success in that she just ignores them however, she does bulldoze the weighted ones so the first few I bought have fallen apart and had to be removed. I now have a floating weed which she loves to swim under and brush the top of her shell against (very funny to watch). Thanks for all the advice everyone :D