As expected, I relocated a box turtle this week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
Six months ago they starting clearing a large property that I pass on the way to work for a new subdivision. The lots aren't large, so even though they are not technically not clear cutting it they are taking out many trees and preparing the ground for house foundations and yards. They started in the winter and given that we have a good population of box turtles in the area, I figured that sadly there were probably box turtles killed by the bulldozers during the clearing while they were hibernating. Very sad to think about. I kept a close eye on the road on the way to work when I passed by since then hoping I might spot one after the weather warmed up that had escaped the bulldozers trying to find food when they came out of hibernation and found cleared land and mostly raw dirt with new house going up fast. I saw a small one on the shoulder back in April, but he was already dead. I hadn't seen another one since, but then two months ago we went into a pretty bad drought and I figured most of the box turtles in the area were going to be relatively inactive until we got some good rain. Well this past Tuesday we got 1-1/2 inches of a slow rain over a 24 hour period from a tropical storm coming through the area and I've been watching the roads carefully this week. Well Friday morning a big boy well over five inches was cruising over the road at high speed and was surprising almost over the road when I saw him. A lot of traffic is on that road during the morning rush. Regardless, he was heading away from the cleared land but towards a dense fully built-out subdivision with lots of roads and dogs. Not a good destination, so I went against my normal tendency and picked him up. We live several miles away in a large lot community with large buffer zones for endangered plants and we have a healthy population of box turtles. He will be a nice addition to the population as a mature boy with great coloration. Anyway, I think I made the right call, and I was very glad that one came out of that area with such drastic clearing after all this time...

Here's a picture I took before letting him walk off into the woods.

Attachments

• 100_1765a.JPG
    100_1765a.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 58

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
That was very nice of you to help that turtle.

It make me so sad to think about fires in the forest or all the forest they destroy to build new houses or shopping centres :( It is so sad for the animals that lived in those forest...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Beautiful turtle! I hope he stays there.

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
That's a beautiful picture of a male box. Thanks for sharing with us and keep your eyes out for more, keep up your good works.

Minh

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What an awesome marked male. Glad that he made it across the road without getting hit. Your right, his genes would be great in an box colony. Hope he settles in and doesn't try to go back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.