At what age/size can an adult and juvenile live together?

Lisa Hayes

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have a two rescue Sulcata's, one is approx 22 inches long and the other is about 7 inches long. When can they live together in the same enclosure? How big does the smaller one need to be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They probably will never be able to live together, Lisa. Two tortoises just doesn't work. They are territorial and will chase other tortoises out of their territory. They don't want or need 'friends.'

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I bet that is not what you wanted to hear. But it is the truth. story after story of bulling. The pictures of the ones that have been rammed is awful. Just not worth it. good luck

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
that's a bad option Lisa. Pairs don't do well, some species do well is small sex controlled heard's. Like redfoot, they do well in small groups like 1 male and 4 or 5 female.

Lisa Hayes

UK
Thanks, I have been looking after the other one for a friend, so I think it is time to give him/her back then , thanks

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
you can still have two, you just need separate everything...... which can be challenging with large breed torts. I have a 32' 130lb male sulcata and would love to have more but I don't have the space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a two rescue Sulcata's, one is approx 22 inches long and the other is about 7 inches long. When can they live together in the same enclosure? How big does the smaller one need to be?

If they lived outside full time and you already had 3 or 4 in the enclosure, it would probably be fine to add this one to the group, but you'd have to watch carefully for a while.

Indoors most of the time in a small enclosure with one other larger tortoise? Not a good idea.