At what size would you...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
At what size would you move a leopard baby in with the herd of yearlings?
She just turned 4 months old and is 156g.
I ask this because she already needs an enclosure upgrade and I'm considering setting up another lifetime raised garden bed conversion like I did with my yearlings, and splitting them into two groups based on size. Three larger ones in one enclosure and the three smaller ones in the other enclosure. Five of them will be outside most days soon and coming in at night, back into their humid chamber, leaving the baby to stay in the humid chamber except for an hr or so each day.
Here is the enclosure. I am wanting to set up a second one to separate them by size to give them more space while inside. (Which soon will be only be at night, inclement weather, and winter)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425060158.927524.jpg

Here is the 4 month old baby next to my smallest yearling for size comparison. She would be with this yearling and one that is 40-ish grams heavier but visually the same size as this yearling. Is she large enough now or should I wait until she reaches a larger size?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425060274.757375.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425060298.178169.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425060317.366409.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not sure what i would do here. If you put her with the others, you could watch closely, and seperate quickly, if needed. You have beautiful leopards. I love your pics. That baby is growing like crazy. What is the weight range on your yearlings?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I am not sure what i would do here. If you put her with the others, you could watch closely, and seperate quickly, if needed. You have beautiful leopards. I love your pics. That baby is growing like crazy. What is the weight range on your yearlings?

These yearling leopards are all the same age at 1 yr 5 months. (Within days weeks of one another)
Freckles: 352g
Watson: 380g
Beans: 941g
Franklin the foster: 456g

I plan to separate them like this:
Enclosure A:
The baby leopard from above and these two.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064004.647624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064033.720743.jpg

Enclosure B would be:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064065.041023.jpg

This 456g yearling is my foster tortoise.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064076.306048.jpg

And A Dude Named Summer will be 3 in April and he too would be housed in Enclosure B.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425064679.333373.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leopards usually mix just fine, and I would not worry at all about those size differences in a group.

Where you might run into a problem soon is: If and when that South African blood kicks in, your males will all have to be separated into individual enclosures. That is one of the problems with mixes. Whose personality will they get?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Leopards usually mix just fine, and I would not worry at all about those size differences in a group.

Where you might run into a problem soon is: If and when that South African blood kicks in, your males will all have to be separated into individual enclosures. That is one of the problems with mixes. Whose personality will they get?

That bottom 3 yr old, is my only for sure male at this point but I suspicion that the big yearling is a male. He's 2 lbs already and his long body makes me think he's male.

So far the young male has not been a problem at all. He is as normal and mellow as the others. He flashes during soaks but that's about it lol.

ETA: I do already have my yard split with a gated fence and am prepared to make separations as needed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would wien they are within an inch or two in size difference. Leopards do well usually in a group, so I would feel comfortable at that sie difference/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So far the young male has not been a problem at all. He is as normal and mellow as the others. He flashes during soaks but that's about it lol.

That's a good sign. They might be able to stay together long term with no issues.

Time will tell. I had no doubt that you already had a back up plan in place. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That bottom 3 yr old, is my only for sure male at this point but I suspicion that the big yearling is a male. He's 2 lbs already and his long body makes me think he's male.

ETA: I do already have my yard split with a gated fence and am prepared to make separations as needed.

You know what you doing Monica. Yard already set-up. LIKE! !

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you all for your replies!
:)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Put them together, no hesitation. And great looking torts btw!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I agree that placing them together shouldn't be an issue unless you have any openly aggressive torts, which I know you don't :) . I would just make sure that her shell is strong enough in case one of her older roommates decides to climb over or prop up on her. It looks like she has as strong of a shell as she could have at that age but just throwing that out there. I love the updates on your group. Please keep them coming. I'm positive leopard owners across the nation are enjoying and learning from them.