AZ cold temperatures Sulcata in burrow

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Operation tortoise rescue is underway...I dug her out of her hide and brought her into a warm, toasty bathroom. It's not quite 80 but getting close with the space heater running full blast. I showed my husband the plans for the winter box and as soon as it stops pouring here (we got 1 inch in the last hour), we will head to Home Depot. Will post pics of the new winter digs once they are completed.

Good luck!

AZTgirl

Apache Junction, Arizona
I gave her a warm water 30 minute soak and she warmed right up and wandered around and had a big meal. Her poop is runny but I am guessing that is because she has been stressed and not in the right conditions for about a week. Hoping that will improve in the next few days?

AZTgirl

Apache Junction, Arizona
Just a quick update and huge sigh of relief...Miss T is eating and pooping normally now...she has had 3 meals and 2 lengthy warm soaks since I put her in the bathroom. She is her feisty self and behaving normally...well, as normally as she can at the moment. At any rate, I feel lucky to have gotten good feedback from this forum and she is on her way to having the right environment to be healthy and happy. Thanks again!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Just a quick update and huge sigh of relief...Miss T is eating and pooping normally now...she has had 3 meals and 2 lengthy warm soaks since I put her in the bathroom. She is her feisty self and behaving normally...well, as normally as she can at the moment. At any rate, I feel lucky to have gotten good feedback from this forum and she is on her way to having the right environment to be healthy and happy. Thanks again!

Great news! Have fun with the night box build (really not too difficult if anyone is handy). Measure twice - cut once.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok...dumb question...when you use the Kane heat mat on the floor...where does it go? I mean...won't the tortoise pee on it and ruin it? Does it go beneath the wood floor then? I looked at the explained view for @Tom designs...want to be sure the floor is not insulated correct?

They lay right on the Kane mat. Totally washable and scrubbable. If I were you I would buy a roll of vinyl (remnant) lay it out in a room you can close off to heat with a space heater and lay out a square 8' x 8' with cement blocks laid onto the vinyl to form a temporary enclosure. This would work for a short period of time.

AZTgirl

Apache Junction, Arizona
Question on the night box doorway...looking for the material to make the heat barrier in the doorway for when the door is open but the tortoise can still walk through it...can someone post a good link or what it is called? I don't know what to search for. Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I used a nice rubber door mat from the Dollar Store and cut about 10 vertical strips about 3/4 of the way up. The uncut bit gets fastened into the top of the entrance & the slits hang down.

You could also go high tech and have some pre built for your opening..

Or, get these & modify based on your entrance....
Hope this helps.... search on Strip Doors/Curtains

AZTgirl

Apache Junction, Arizona
Ok...thought I would share that our Taj Mahal fit for a tortoise queen Arizona winter box is completed! Thank you to all who provided advice...time to stop sharing the bathroom with MissT who is very grateful to be back outside and no worse for the wear thank goodness. Sharing some pics of the new place. Thank you @Tom for your wonderful plans. My husband modified a little but we basically used your design. Thing weighs a TON. Thermostat is keeping it nice and toasty. She went right up her ramp and into the house straight away. Yeah! I have the strip doors on order (thank you @Maro2Bear ) and those will be the last touch on a perfect place.

Attachments

• IMG_5669.JPG
    IMG_5669.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5670.JPG
    IMG_5670.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5671.JPG
    IMG_5671.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5673.JPG
    IMG_5673.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5675.JPG
    IMG_5675.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5676.JPG
    IMG_5676.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok...thought I would share that our Taj Mahal fit for a tortoise queen Arizona winter box is completed! Thank you to all who provided advice...time to stop sharing the bathroom with MissT who is very grateful to be back outside and no worse for the wear thank goodness. Sharing some pics of the new place. Thank you @Tom for your wonderful plans. My husband modified a little but we basically used your design. Thing weighs a TON. Thermostat is keeping it nice and toasty. She went right up her ramp and into the house straight away. Yeah! I have the strip doors on order (thank you @Maro2Bear ) and those will be the last touch on a perfect place.
NICE! It looks great! Lucky tortoise!